PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   General Android Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   What Android is not? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=151055)

John Farrell 09-25-2012 03:27 AM

What Android is not?

A Java ME implementation — Android applications are written using the Java language,
but they are not run within a Java ME (Mobile Edition) VM, and Java-compiled classes and
executables will not run natively in Android.
Part of the Linux Phone Standards Forum (LiPS) or the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA)
Android runs on an open-source Linux kernel, but, while their goals are similar, Android’s
complete software stack approach goes further than the focus of these standards-defining
organizations.
Simply an application layer (such as UIQ or S60) — Although Android does include an application
layer, “Android’’ also describes the entire software stack, encompassing the underlying
operating system, the API libraries, and the applications themselves.
A mobile phone handset — Android includes a reference design for mobile handset manufacturers,
but there is no single “Android phone.” Instead, Android has been designed to support
many alternative hardware devices.
Google’s answer to the iPhone — The iPhone is a fully proprietary hardware and software
platform released by a single company (Apple), whereas Android is an open-source
software stack produced and supported by the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) and designed
to operate on any compatible device.

schettj 09-26-2012 08:46 AM

Re: What Android is not?

you left off Usable :)

WorldWide 09-26-2012 03:24 PM

That's great.

demonlordoftheround 09-27-2012 09:29 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/IMM76I) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

And no mention of Phillip K. Dick.

Danny1234 12-18-2012 05:46 AM

Although not complete, the information is useful.

austin420 12-19-2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 2186761)
you left off Usable :)

boo :newb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by WorldWide (Post 2186778)
That's great.

i agree. show thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2186812)

And no mention of Phillip K. Dick.

so the question stands. do androids dream of electric sheep?

Babydoll25 12-21-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin420 (Post 2189456)
boo :newb:

i agree. show thanks!

so the question stands. do androids dream of electric sheep?

Yes, they do. They also eat apples for breakfast. :rolleyes:;)

Snowflake approved this message....

Daniel Jones 01-03-2013 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Farrell (Post 2186693)
A Java ME implementation — Android applications are written using the Java language,
but they are not run within a Java ME (Mobile Edition) VM, and Java-compiled classes and
executables will not run natively in Android.
Part of the Linux Phone Standards Forum (LiPS) or the Open Mobile Alliance (OMA)
Android runs on an open-source Linux kernel, but, while their goals are similar, Android’s
complete software stack approach goes further than the focus of these standards-defining
organizations.
Simply an application layer (such as UIQ or S60) — Although Android does include an application
layer, “Android’’ also describes the entire software stack, encompassing the underlying
operating system, the API libraries, and the applications themselves.
A mobile phone handset — Android includes a reference design for mobile handset manufacturers,
but there is no single “Android phone.” Instead, Android has been designed to support
many alternative hardware devices.
Google’s answer to the iPhone — The iPhone is a fully proprietary hardware and software
platform released by a single company (Apple), whereas Android is an open-source
software stack produced and supported by the Open Handset Alliance (OHA) and designed
to operate on any compatible device.

Hey John
You are pretty rite about Android in above facts. But the question arises that if Android wasn't open source and it does not allow other manufacturers to use Android OS in their smartphones, like Apple does. Would they be having same number of users of Android that they currently possess?

OmBola1 01-31-2013 01:15 AM

that's great dude. :)

lennondevid 02-09-2013 03:07 AM

According to me Android has so much thing that don't have any other smartphone because it is linux based operating system and also provide the facility for running Java application. Google need to do much improvement in its Java ME platform so that user can easily access java file easily. I hope the improvement will be done in Java ME makes more smart and flexible to Android.