PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim x51v and TouchPro 2 now Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

JohnMcD348 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newer Epic or Evo Shift what problems with each?

OK, I'm reading the Epic Evo Shift thread right now trying to figure out which one is for me. I will grant the Shift hasn't been out long enough to really show any issues yet hardware or software related. I would still like to know of any known problems with each phone.

I'm am probably going to be picking up one of these this week to replace my TP2 that stopped working. I'm not interested in Rooting and burning new roms and such. I need a stable phone that lasts more than 1 year if taken care of. I will load and unload tons of software on it as I go. I've had a PDA or Smartphone for the past 11 years and I rely on them for work from time to time.

I'm interested in New pones, not necessarily the models that came out last year or before. I read in a few posts that the Epic got an update recently so that's what I would like the information based on since that's what I'll end up with if I go with this phone.

I appreciate and value the input you all provide me since I don't really keep up with the latest and greatest until I need them.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:55 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1
Re: Newer Epic or Evo Shift what problems with each?

i had both and still have epic because its better in so many ways and shift just didnt cut it. epic is faster/screen better/development better ect. you can always try both with 30day return but i think you would love the epic.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I am leaning more toward the Epic if I have to get a new one. I just was wondering if people have had issues like they did with the TP2. Had I known there was a microphone issue with them, I would have gotten the insurance on it. I've had HTC prodcts for many years starting with my old HP and Dell PDAs so that's why I went with the TP2 instead of considering something else. I don't want to make that mistake again. I don't have and can better spend $200 on something else other than a new phone every year. I'm just a little disappointed to say the least in my TP2 after only 14 months of use.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:32 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
I am leaning more toward the Epic if I have to get a new one. I just was wondering if people have had issues like they did with the TP2. Had I known there was a microphone issue with them, I would have gotten the insurance on it. I've had HTC prodcts for many years starting with my old HP and Dell PDAs so that's why I went with the TP2 instead of considering something else. I don't want to make that mistake again. I don't have and can better spend $200 on something else other than a new phone every year. I'm just a little disappointed to say the least in my TP2 after only 14 months of use.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Well every phone has some issues..overall though the phone is fairly good..nothing is issue free..boils down to whats important to you..if you can reiterate on your usage I'm sure we can assist you better in determining if something may effect you..

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-14-2011, 01:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks. I typically use it for medical reference programs when at work but also load it with other programs, music, videos for the kids and my use. Other than that I use it to talk on. I get called in a lot for traumas and emergency surgeries so reliability is the most important thing to me.

As it stands right now, I'll be staying with the TP2. I just went into the Sprint store and they're ordering me a replacement for $37. I'll hold on to it for another year or so(if it lasts that long) and reconsider moving up or moving on when that time comes. If this TP2 goes bad on me then I'll definitely be moving on to something else. My wife reminded me that my 1st HTC PDA, an HP iPAQ2210, had to be replaced a few months after I got it. It was so many years ago I'd forgotten about that device going bad for no reason.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnoon View Post
I would discourage buying phones from ebay or second-hand in general unless you know the person you're getting it from. ebay and Craigslist tend to, unfortunately, sell "deals" on phone which are stolen. Of course there are some legit phones there, but it's impossible to tell.
Ebay protects you against bad phones. If the auction says that the phone will activate on any account then you fall under those protections. It is really safe to purchase on ebay. Don't know what your talking about when you say ebay tends to sell bad phones. It's not ebay thats selling it, it's the user. As long as you read the description you'll be fine. I've purchased over 10 phones on ebay with no problems. Craigslist is the one you need to worry about. When buying there I recommend you meet person at the wireless store so they can check if phone is clean before you but it.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Free! Full Body Protection for your smartphone.
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 03-19-2011, 03:21 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

I bought plenty of phones on ebay, my favorite buy was when I bought on ebay and the phone came but one of the speakers were broken, I contacted the person and they sent me a replacement...then said to send the other one back..and I asked if they have a return slip to send it back...then they just responded w\e just keep both lol
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I'm now seriously considering replacing my refurbed TP2. I think every one I've gotten to replace the one with the sudden microphone failure was returned due to a bad screen. I've now gone through 3 refurbs trying to get one that doesn't have a leaking crystal. Right now, it still looks like the Shift or Evo are the two phones that fit my needs. Any input on the newer things that have come along in the last months or what's coming along in the next few months? I may just keep taking the TP2 in every month and have them order a new refurb until the end of the year.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:33 PM
kaptainrandom

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
You said keyboard is important,
I found I appreciated the dedicated number keys so I didnt have to press other key to get in/out of number mode,
I believe the EvoShift has dedicated number keys, much like the tp2.

Sent from my PC36100 on the PPCGeeks App
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMcD348 View Post
Well, I'm now seriously considering replacing my refurbed TP2. I think every one I've gotten to replace the one with the sudden microphone failure was returned due to a bad screen. I've now gone through 3 refurbs trying to get one that doesn't have a leaking crystal. Right now, it still looks like the Shift or Evo are the two phones that fit my needs. Any input on the newer things that have come along in the last months or what's coming along in the next few months? I may just keep taking the TP2 in every month and have them order a new refurb until the end of the year.
The only future keyboard phone we know of is the Epic 2..which will only be a bump up to 1.2ghz and bump up to 8mp camera...no other keyboard phones planned for this summer at least other then the Epic 2.

None keyboard phones:

Motorola Photon 4g on July 31st

Motorola's 4.3-inch Photon 4G brings Tegra 2, kickstand magic to Sprint (video hands-on) -- Engadget

Samsung Within (SGS2)

Samsung Galaxy S II review -- Engadget

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainrandom View Post
You said keyboard is important,
I found I appreciated the dedicated number keys so I didnt have to press other key to get in/out of number mode,
I believe the EvoShift has dedicated number keys, much like the tp2.

Sent from my PC36100 on the PPCGeeks App
No it doesn't Evo Shift is a 4 row keyboard...The only top end phone that had 5 row keyboard with dedicated number keys is the Epic 4G

PPCGeeks > Android > General Android Discussion