PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TOUCH PRO
Carrier: SPRINT

jdignazio knows their stuffjdignazio knows their stuffjdignazio knows their stuffjdignazio knows their stuffjdignazio knows their stuffjdignazio knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Q" Rom Chefs:

Help me think through this: When using custom roms by our great chefs here, the roms are frequently upgraded/updated to the next version, then the next, so on untill everything is stable and the release is final. My question is about backing up using software such us Spb backup.
For example, if im using Mighty's rom 4.95 and have everything set up to my liking, do a backup, then the next release 4.10 comes out. Can you use the backup from the 4.95 and run the backup on the new 4.10 rom? Would that not even make sense since the backup is essentially a snap shot of the last rom and customizations, so it wouldnt make sense to, in essence change the new rom to the old one because any tweaks that were in the new rom would be overwritten by the backup from the last rom. Or does the backup program even allow you to? Geez, do I even make sense??
Old 02-19-2009, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

scorpionreign is just getting started
Re: "Q" Rom Chefs:

I have the same problem. I use SPB Backup and running KK 1.2. I've tried several times to upgrade to KK 1.5 but keep getting KK1.2 back.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

For the most part I dont recomend to my users that they use a bck up program when going from revision to another. If the core OS files changer it could lead to some interesting results.

Donations always accepted but never expected!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:15 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T

wmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIPwmdunn is a VIP

None of the back-up programs can effectively do what you are asking. I have SPB, and use it to keep a solid copy of my existing rom, just in case something happens. The people who are flashing roms quite often, are either using a program like sashimi, or user customization, along with PIM or Activesync ...
Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Anymore I flash probably twice per day at a minimum. The following are what I backup
1. Contacts
2. sms messages

I use pimbackup to back up those. The rest I keep in my storage card, or reference I actually cook it into my rom. I guess it's an advantage when you are your own chef. But documents, music, etc are all kept on the storage card. User customization is a great way to install .cabs, and UC xml: is great for registry entries and setting up e-mail. I have evolved to my flashing habits. I probably wouldn't recommend one of device-backup software programs if you flash often. Those are made for people that don't know about www.ppcgeeks.com.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vouge and titan

robby37 is becoming a great contributor

i would use the sdcard autorun most roms support uc now and then what i do is use total commander to copy the pim file in device root dir and then just copy it over and soft reset this way i get all my numbers and call log cal everything in that one file its awesome basically does what pim backup does for you.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro > CDMA TP Development