PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   CDMA TP Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   [July 9, 2009] Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=50076)

BroMarduk 12-21-2008 10:06 PM

[July 9, 2009] Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

5 Attachment(s)
PLEASE READ THE FAQ BELOW BEFORE UPDATING YOUR PRL WITH THE ATTACHED FILES

Attached is the latest Verizon PRL (51425m) for America's Choice II with EDVO so it runs with a Sprint Touch Pro on the Verizon network. I've also included previous PRL versions in case someone needs to revert back to one for some reason. Note that the instructions below are for the newest PRL and if you are applying an older PRL, the numbers and names will be different.

Also attached is the Verizon PRL (51214m) for use with Verizon Pay As You Go (Prepaid) Service courtesy of Fixup. Since I don't have a way to extract the PRL from a Prepaid Verizon phone, I will not be regularly updating this PRL unless someone sends me a newer copy. I also have no way to test this so use at your own risk.

Tested on a Sprint branded TP running Sprint PRI's 1.47_003 and 1.53_003 and running on the Verizon network on 03/05/09. Note - I have not tried running with the new Verizon 2.01_002 PRI.

Q. Why would I even need this modified PRL?
A. For Sprint (and likely Alltel) devices on the Verizon network using ANY PRI, the modified PRL must be used to remove the roaming indicator. If you dial *228, hard reset or with some ROM updates, the PRL may be replaced and the roaming triangle will appear.

Q. Why would I want the latest Verizon PRL?
A. It provides the latest roaming information for the Verizon network. With the latest PRL the roaming triangle will be more indicative of true roaming notifications.

Q. What are the requirements for this PRL update?
A. You need a phone running on the Verizon CDMA America's Choice Network with a data plan. If you are using Pay As You Go (Prepaid), there is a separate file that can be used with this Verizon CDMA Option. You also need a phone using a different PRI (Sprint tested, it may work with others, but I did not test) than Verizon's. If you have a Verizon phone running on a Verizon PRI then you will should NOT use this PRL, instead *228<SEND> option 2 should update the PRL for you automatically.

Q. How do I tell what PRI or PRL I have?
A. On the Touch Pro, select the Start menu then Settings. In settings select the System tab and run Device Information. On the Device information screen there will be Items indicating PRL and PRI versions. 1.46_002 is the stock Touch Pro Verizon PRI. 1.47_003 and 1.53_003 are known Sprint PRIs. There may be other ones out there and ones for other carriers, but at the time this was written this was my known subset and only ones I tested the PRL with. If your PRL is 51425 or newer then you do not need this update.

Q. What are the files are contained in the ZIP file?
A. There are two files contained in the ZIP file, a .PRL file and a .TXT file. The PRL file is needed to follow the directions below in order to change your PRL. The text file is included for those who wish to compare against the non-modified PRL or a previous version and is not needed except for this purpose.

Q. How do I apply this PRL file to my Touch Pro with a non-Verizon PRI?
A. Follow the steps below. Note that a SOFT reboot is required at the end.

1. Unzip the PRL from the zip file and copy it to your device or storage card.
2. Dial ##PRL<SEND> (##775<SEND>) on your phone.
3. Enter your MSL unlock code (should be 000000 or six zeros) in the password box and select OK from the left soft key.
4. Select the Update PRL item by tapping or clicking on it with the stylus. Once it it highlighted, select the right soft key labeled Menu and select Edit from the pop-up menu (you could also tap and hold on the item and select Edit from the pop-up menu).
5. Select the Browse button when the dialog appears, then select the 51250m PRL from the list when the list appears. If the file does not appear, make sure the storage card is inserted correctly and that the phone is not connected with the USB cable.
6. Select the OK left soft key.
7. Select the Menu right soft key then select OK from the pop-up menu
8. A dialog box will appear indicating the phone will reboot.
9. Enjoy the new PRL. You can go to Device Information (see question above) to verify the PRL is being used. It will read 51425 in the status screen, not 51425m.

Q. I thought I could use *228<SEND> to update my PRL automatically.
A. You can if you have a phone with a Verizon PRI. If you have a different PRI (non-Verizon) loaded on your phone then if you use *228<SEND> then the PRL that is downloaded will not be compatible with the PRI and the roaming indicator will always show.

Q. Why does this happen and why do I have to do this PRL update manually?
A. It has to do with the mapping of codes in the PRI and PRL. If you have a Verizon PRL and PRI then *228<SEND> will download a PRL compatible with the Verizon PRI. If the PRI is not Verizon's then the PRL file that it downloads will not be compatible with the PRI and PRL codes will not match. The attached PRL file has been modified so that the codes align with the codes the Sprint PRIs expect.

Q. How can I make *228<SEND> work again so that every time I use it the roaming triangle doesn't come back?
A. You will need to install a Verizon PRI on your phone. Check around this site for instructions on how to do that. This will make the PRLs downloaded from *228<SEND> compatible again. The downside is that the GPS on the phone will not work with the Verizon PRI until Verizon decides to unlock the GPS feature. Once this happens I'll most likely move back to a Verizon PRI.

Q. Will this work on a Verizon Touch Pro phone on the Verizon network.
A. As stated above, if you are using a Verizon PRI (if you have a Verizon phone and have not changed your PRI from Verizon's 1.46_002) then you will not need this PRL and applying it will most likely give you a roaming triangle even when you are not roaming. If you are using a Sprint PRI to get around the locked Verizon GPS issue (the current fix does use a Sprint PRI from what I can tell) then this update will work for you. I did notice that the newest Phase I GPS fix for the Verizon phone does appear to contain either this modified PRL or one that someone else modified. Either way, you can check your device properties to see the current PRL version and if it is older than 51425 before applying this update.

Q. I went ahead and applied this to my Verizon phone with a Verizon PRI by mistake now I have the roaming triangle all the time. How do I fix this?
A. Dial *228<SEND> and select option 2. This should update your PRL automatically to the latest Verizon version and the roaming triangle should now indicate correctly.

Q. What versions of the PRL are available here?
A. I will keep the last 4 Nationwide and latest Prepaid posted on this site. Other versions that exist are included in the list below and can be requested if needed.

Prepaid PRL 51214 [01-13-09] - Available

Nationwide PRL 51101m [09-23-08] - Archived
Nationwide PRL 51143m [12-21-08] - Archived
Nationwide PRL 51190m [01-12-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51242m [02-06-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51250m [03-05-09] - Available
Nationwide PRL 51425m [07-08-09] - Available

Q. Will this work for other phones with a Sprint PRI on the Verizon network?
A. Most likely but I did not test any scenarios other than the Touch Pro. Your mileage may vary...

Vandi423 12-22-2008 02:11 PM

Re: Latest PRL (51143) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Thank you for the well informed FAQ. Is this your first time modifying a PRL or have you done this before? I only ask because you have very few posts here but as a you can see I am a n00b in this forum too. haha

Thanks again, I will try it out in my next update.

Glitch4583 12-22-2008 04:23 PM

EDIT: Disregard. Christ...running low on caffine sucks...

- Glitch

creedin 12-23-2008 12:31 PM

works perfectly on an sprint touch pro on verizon, thanks...

BroMarduk 12-24-2008 12:00 AM

Vandi423,

Yup few posts here. I've been one of those guys who mostly takes from the forums, although in the past I've been on different boards and tried to help out when possible (pdaphonehome). I've had some down time for the holidays and a new phone (my touch pro) and was able to figure out how to extract and update a PRL and learned some stuff in the process and thought it was time to give back. Maybe my next FAQ will be on how to update the PRL to work with the Sprint PRIs :). It's not that hard once you figure it out...

Vandi423 12-28-2008 10:22 PM

Thanks again for this. It appears that it has helped many people with getting rid of their roaming triangle. :headbang:

BroMarduk 01-12-2009 04:47 PM

Re: Latest PRL (51190) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Updated this thread with the latest modified Verizon PRL file (for use with a Sprint PRI)

Fixup 01-13-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroMarduk (Post 635178)
Updated this thread with the latest modified Verizon PRL file (for use with a Sprint PRI)

Thank you! Did you convert it with a program or by hand?

helix139 01-13-2009 10:18 AM

Just to add to your FAQ...

For Sprint (and likely Alltel) devices on the Verizon network using ANY PRI, the modified PRL must be used to remove the roaming indicator

Fixup 01-13-2009 07:36 PM

For those who use prepaid on VZW network, this is a modified 51214:

51214m.prl - 0.01MB

BroMarduk 01-15-2009 11:44 AM

By hand with the assistance of an excel macro. Thanks for the update. If you want I'll update the title and the attachment in the first post (with full credit to you of course...)

BroMarduk 01-15-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helix139 (Post 636822)

For Sprint (and likely Alltel) devices on the Verizon network using ANY PRI, the modified PRL must be used to remove the roaming indicator

I haven't tried the Sprint phone with a Verizon PRI (I know there is one floating around with the GPS fix) so I didn't know how it would work. Have you tried that combo and can verify thats how it works? If so, I'll put that information in the FAQ by the next update.

jdegroot 01-23-2009 09:24 PM

I'm stuck in a bit of a jam. If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. I have posted my question on the GPS Fix Thred, but I'm linking here since I know you guys are really good in PRI and PRL land. if you could take a second to help me move forward so I can join in the fun, i would really appreciate it! Thanks!!

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=768

zikronix 02-05-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroMarduk (Post 641855)
I haven't tried the Sprint phone with a Verizon PRI (I know there is one floating around with the GPS fix) so I didn't know how it would work. Have you tried that combo and can verify thats how it works? If so, I'll put that information in the FAQ by the next update.

didnt seem to make a difference in my testing....i tried that pri by its self and cooked into a rom...the roming indicator stuck unless you were using a modified prl

im not sure why

BroMarduk 02-05-2009 04:06 PM

That's what I thought would happen based on info in the Verizon GPS thread. Thanks for verifiying...

BroMarduk 02-06-2009 02:02 PM

Re: Latest PRL (51242) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Updated with the latest PRL (51242). Enjoy...

chachi04 02-13-2009 04:50 PM

Re: Latest PRL (51242) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Also works on my Qwest Mogul on VZW service for getting rid of the roaming triangle. Many thanks!

Fixup 02-23-2009 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroMarduk (Post 641841)
By hand with the assistance of an excel macro. Thanks for the update. If you want I'll update the title and the attachment in the first post (with full credit to you of course...)

Sure and thank you!

BroMarduk 03-08-2009 04:33 PM

Re: Latest PRL (51250) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Updated with latest 51250m PRL for Nationwide users and added the Prepaid PRL 51214m for prepaid users to the list. Note, due to the number of files that can be attached, only the latest 4 Nationwide and latest 1 Prepaid PRLs will continue to exist on the site. If you need a previous one, please let me know and I'll try and send it out as needed.

nuclear 04-14-2009 11:58 PM

I seem to recall this thread originally having an explanation of what needed to be changed in the PRL to correct the roaming indicators; is that still around somewhere?

I've got a PRL from a VZW MVNO I'd like to modify in the same manner. I've been sifting through the files with QPST's RL editor but I'm not seeing many differences other than the Roaming Indicator fields which are all 0's

zeurx 04-15-2009 05:34 AM

just a quick fyi, i think its ##prl and not **prl, and if your on custom roms then it could be ##prl#

RonDutt 04-16-2009 11:32 PM

Latest PRL's, not sure who I got them from:

http://rondutt.com/prls/51284.prl
http://rondutt.com/prls/51284m.prl

AceXMachine 04-17-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helix139 (Post 636822)

I am using an Alltel Touch Pro and I copied the PRI from a VZW Touch Pro using QPST and I can do *228 to update my PRL with no roaming triangle....Does this not work on Sprint devices?

RonDutt 04-18-2009 03:32 PM

Confirmed, PRL's obtained on Alltel TP's via *228 no longer have the roaming triangle.

BroMarduk 04-18-2009 06:42 PM

Thanks guys for the info....I will update FAQ soon.

the3rd 04-23-2009 12:28 AM

Updated a Touch Pro from Sprint that is on Verizon with this PRL and works great except for one thing. I am using a custom rom and the phone doesn't seem to roam on Sprint at all, even when I put a roaming only cab and force it into roaming only. Was wondering if it was because of the prl or maybe another factor I need to be looking at? I appreciate it.

crobs808 05-10-2009 12:41 AM

so, wheres the latest modified prl? the last link posted is down

-thanks

gurrumino 05-10-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crobs808 (Post 906293)
so, wheres the latest modified prl? the last link posted is down

-thanks

it is working for me!... i don't see any problem...

ok, i'm a little bit confused about what a ERI is.... why some people in forums/threads are talking about it like it is soooo important....

Can somebody explain what it does, what is it for...

pctech101 06-30-2009 08:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a request. Here is 51370 Verizon non evdo, can you please mod it For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI for me?
I have no clue on how to edit.
Thanks

Spr0ckEt 07-08-2009 02:13 AM

For information, I have an Alltel TP. I used your modified 51250 and now have a signal at work. I have been trying for 2 weeks, everything that I could think of... and now... SIGNAL! I uploaded one of the original VZW one at first, they had the triangle. Now, with yours, no triangle.

BroMarduk 07-09-2009 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pctech101 (Post 1006968)
I have a request. Here is 51370 Verizon non evdo, can you please mod it For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI for me?
I have no clue on how to edit.
Thanks

This one seems to already be modified as the Roam Indicator IDs are in the proper ranges. Do you have a non-modified one from a Verizon device?

BroMarduk 07-09-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeurx (Post 849736)
just a quick fyi, i think its ##prl and not **prl, and if your on custom roms then it could be ##prl#

How did I miss that! Thanks - FAQ updated

BroMarduk 07-09-2009 11:08 AM

Re: Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

Updated thread with newest modified PRL 51425

ragecyr 07-22-2009 05:45 AM

Re: [July 9, 2009] Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

I know this thread has been dead a while, but what is the difference between a PRL and a modified PRL?

For me a with a verizon on verizon running a custom rom, any PRL gives me roaming, while your modified one DOES NOT. I would like to update my PRL to the newest version, but was hoping to do the modification to make it not roaming and not "preferred system". Any chance you could fill us in on what makes it "modified"?

TCruz 07-23-2009 03:14 PM

Re: [July 9, 2009] Latest PRL (51425) For Verizon network using a Sprint PRI (w/Q&A)

I have a question along the lines of this post. I have an Alltel TP and until July 14th was an Alltel customer. I was moved (not by choice) to Verizon. I also have a work phone that was already a Verizon phone. Areas where my Verizon phone would work and my Alltel would not have not changed. Any idea why my Alltel TP will not update and log into the Verzion towers? If I update as listed at the begining of this thread will I then lose the ability to hit the Alltel towers I now can see?

jcampolo 08-06-2009 12:26 PM

Thanks, I installed 51214 in my Sprint BB 8330 and I am still roaming on SID 3002 which is listed in the prl. I was also roaming using prl 51143 too. If I dial * 611 I get the "welcome to vzw" either way. I am using an Airvoice prepaid plan, maybe that's the problem. Do you know if there is anything else I have to change in the BB. Airv had me put my phone # in "MDN" and MSI_S and change SID to 1026.
That got me connected.

When I am in the city in an EVDO area I am not roaming. Both systems are VZW, the only difference is one is EVDO and the other is 1xrtt. My native VZW HP mini works fine on the 1xrtt, slow, but works. *288 & *28810 do not work anywhere. Airvoice says they use 51457 but couldn't tell me where to get it. Does anyone know? That Corolada site is last years stuff.

Note: When using QPST to put in the prl, there has to be an SPC set. It wouldn't download to the BB with the SPC set to 000000. So I changed it back to the original SPC and it took. To check dial #4357* on the BB and you can see the current SID, PRL, and other stuff.

natedoggathens 08-07-2009 11:26 PM

Will doing this allow me to use a non VZW Touch Pro on Verizon?

Robin24k 08-07-2009 11:59 PM

Not necessarily. It's something you'll need in the process, but not the only thing that needs to be done.

natedoggathens 08-08-2009 01:52 AM

I searched but can't find instructions on doing it.

AceXMachine 08-08-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natedoggathens (Post 1088440)
I searched but can't find instructions on doing it.

Now that I find hard to believe. There are several large threads that deal with getting a non-VZW TP on VZW. First and foremost, you need to get your non-VZW TP added to VZW's Device Management Database (referred to as the DMD). You can't activate it without getting that being done first. You'll need to find a VZW tech that can do it for you, either at the store or over the phone. Everything else, is easy by comparison...