PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: evo
Carrier: sprint

griz145389 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC EVO 2.1 Custom ROM v1.6 | Eclair | *Updated | 6/30/10*

I do not have 4g in my area yet. Is there a way to see if my 4g is broken? And if so is there a way to confirm that it is ok after going through the steps to fix it?
Old 07-03-2010, 08:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: Sprint

goskers is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmonewbie View Post
4G FIX (?) Part DEUX

After reading through @400 posts between 2 threads I'm not seeing an indication that the situation is going to get anymore solid than it is right now. Of course there can always be a Eureka! moment but I think there are enough options for users to try now.

ONCE AGAIN-I dont have 4G, I'm just passing along the information to those who are willing to try to fix their issues. If any of these steps seem over your head DO NOT ATTEMPT THEM. The last thing you want is to break something else.

As I stated in an earlier post, it appears unrevoked users are out of luck until the devs from the unrevoked team come up with a solution. If you rooted via unrevoked then these options most likely will not work for you, as always, proceed with caution.

We know that some users here have 4G working, most recently posted by Mindfrost. He got it from the get go and didnt need anything fixed.

NONE of these "solutions" have 100% success based on the posts in their respective threads. Based on my reading, I'd call these the Top 3. Of the posts that claim they dont work, we can never rule out the dreaded UE-User Error.

READ, READ, READ. AND WHEN YOU THINK YOU GOT IT, READ IT AGAIN.

Bad Wimax MAC? Broken 4G After Update? Fix HERE!
This is a re-post of the thread I posted last night. IMHO it has enough "I got it!" posts to warrant an attempt.

How to start over:From original stock to rooted latest OTA (WiMax working!)
THIS IS A RE-ROOT. THIS IS A RE-ROOT. Like the title says, you are starting over.
Not trying to scare anyone but I just want to make sure you understand what you're doing. IMHO it's seems very simple.

4G FIX for Constant Scanning
This is fairly straight forward but seems to be a solution if your system seems 'stuck' constantly searching for a sginal. The 'Start over' thread makes reference to this one on Post 1.

If you try all of these without success there is ANOTHER option:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=716694

Questions pertaining to these "solutions" are best posted in their respective threads.
Good luck, hope this helps.

**Disclaimer-There are discussions in these threads about users taking their devices back to Sprint I'm not condoning or condemning. I ain't going there**
All has been fixed for me!!!! On 4G now with many bars. Have functional latest wimax and new rqdio. Here is what worked for me... note I did not have the MAC address issue, just wonky 4g. Go back to stock and apply otas from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915 I ran it this way for as long as I could stand... after everything tested out for a couple of hours and the wimax connection held, backed up everything, then I used Rom mgr to install e 1.6 of OMJs Rom (note, no need to do anything to the radio or wimax, these are already good from restore method above) after 2,3 hour s of use and an overnight charge it is confirmed to be a fast stable install with latest OTAs and OMJ. THANKS TO ALL THE DEVS AND USERS FOR ALL THE POSTS AND ATTEMPTED FIXES. IT ALL SEEMS TO BE OVER (FIXED) NOW, SIGH, WELL AT LEAST FOR ME...

Edit: corrected link...

Last edited by goskers; 07-03-2010 at 08:42 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-03-2010, 08:19 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

nvrnugh is just getting started

Quote:
Which one did you try?
There's the one that OMJ posted, grab it here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/misc.php?d...ments&t=123534

and there's a version in the Market.
I got the one that OMJ and you reposted. It didn't seem to want to work wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk. I uninstalled and installed a few times still with no joy.

I got the older version and it works great.

GREAT ROM OMJ you have this n00b hooked!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by goskers View Post
All has been fixed for me!!!! On 4G now with many bars. Have functional latest wimax and new rqdio. Here is what worked for me... note I did not have the MAC address issue, just wonky 4g. Go back to stock and apply otas from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=715915 I ran it this way for as long as I could stand... after everything tested out for a couple of hours and the wimax connection held, backed up everything, then I used Rom mgr to install e 1.6 of OMJs Rom (note, no need to do anything to the radio or wimax, these are already good from restore method above) after 2,3 hour s of use and an overnight charge it is confirmed to be a fast stable install with latest OTAs and OMJ. THANKS TO ALL THE DEVS AND USERS FOR ALL THE POSTS AND ATTEMPTED FIXES. IT ALL SEEMS TO BE OVER (FIXED) NOW, SIGH, WELL AT LEAST FOR ME...

Edit: corrected link...
All right! That's one confirmation on the Start Over method.
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor

Okay I just reinstalled 1.6r. I don't need 4g as of right now. Am I good to go if I don't install the WiMax update?
Old 07-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: LTEvo

iknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the communityiknowsquat is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckstande View Post
Okay I just reinstalled 1.6r. I don't need 4g as of right now. Am I good to go if I don't install the WiMax update?
Should be golden. That's how I'm set up. It appears that updating the wimax is what broke 4G for some users so we should be fine. Can't be sure till 4G comes to Tampa or I go to it.

Last edited by iknowsquat; 07-03-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Mule is a n00b

WinMo

I'm considering the jump - I have OMJ 1.5 fully rooted by Toast 2 with the ENG hboot - I have completed a Titanium backup and about to do Nand backup.

My question - if I follow the steps perfectly I should be in 1.4x correctly with the OTA updates, then I could update the OMJ 1.6 (without radio) then run 1) Nand restore and Titanium or 2) just Titanium to get my data settings and programs back?

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks for your persistence on this update

Mule
Old 07-03-2010, 12:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

ruckstande is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Should be golden. That's how I'm set up. It appears that updating the wimax is what broke 4G for some users so we should be fine. Can't be sure till 4G comes to Tampa or I go to it.
Thanks, well this sucks anyway. I don't know what I did wrong this time but when I opened up Titanium backup it said I wasn't rooted. I checked using adb and sure enough, "$". I'm going to go back and follow the root instructions again and see what I did wrong.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

seahurst is a n00b

Quote:
4G FIX (?) Part DEUX

How to start over:From original stock to rooted latest OTA (WiMax working!)
THIS IS A RE-ROOT. THIS IS A RE-ROOT. Like the title says, you are starting over.
Not trying to scare anyone but I just want to make sure you understand what you're doing. IMHO it's seems very simple.
Just wanted to confirm that I followed the above steps and got my 4G back working again. I am in Seattle and able to test 3G and 4G to confirm.

Very much appreciated those created the fix as well as those guided us to the fix
Old 07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Evo 4g

goskers is just getting started

I went straight from the start over method to 1.6. (without radio) That is what I recommend 4g still going strong and battery life seems much improved as well

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G > CDMA HTC Evo 4G Development