PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: OMJ's HTC Sense 2.5 & 2.1 ROMs | WM 6.5 / WM 6.5.x | 21055 / 21887 / 28014 | 2/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
not to blow u off, but I havent been doing much w/ the sense 2.1 roms. they dont seem to be in much demand compared to sense 2.5.

But Sense 2.1 is so much faster on my Diamond... am I doing something wrong? Also it seems to leave me much more free space? What are the advantages of Sense 2.5, I can't really tell. Is it more usable in some way?
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Diamond

eval- is keeping up the good workeval- is keeping up the good work
Re: OMJ's HTC Sense 2.5 & 2.1 ROMs | WM 6.5 / WM 6.5.x | 21055 / 21887 / 28014 | 2/17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
1. Any particular SYS? just the latest/stabalist?
2. Leave Opera out or add back in?
3. Leave Google out or add back in?
4. YouTube out or in? I'm pretty sure it's going back in
5. LZX Compression, yes or no? anyone running into any issues w/ it?

anything else needed added or removed?

I cooked a 28014 ROM last night w/ opera 10.3 + Google 4 + Youtube.....still was using LZX Compression.....still had 80mb storage, but really, I dont need all that space, and if it runs better w/o compression, I can easily sacrifice the small amount of storage.
I'm for stable/fast over recent. I second the poster that suggests Opera 10 go to Internal Storage if only because setting all the cache paths by hand gets tedious. But since the Diamond storage is non-removable, could you cook these smarter values in? Another issue I've had was with \Application Data\Volatile filling up my device when Outlook went all stupid on me. I think this can be set in HKLM\System\FileSys by editing the TempPath key. And as I mentioned, I'd like to see Opera work out-of-the-box if it comes cooked in to 6.5 w/ 2.1. This involves either disabling Push Internet (why is it enabled? is it useful?) or editing \Windows\27c65cbd_manila to add a:
NavigateUrl="http://something..."
in the <Banner ... /> section (pretty straightforward.)

Finally, I settled on your 6.5 2.1 ROM after a long search because of the inclusion of a minimum of essential apps, the speed, and the amount of free space (less than 50-60m wont cut it for me.) I don't know what the trade-off is for LZX, but I think you already have found a sweet spot for space vs. performance. Unless the performance hit is rather small, you'd probably risk less by cleaning \Windows or clearing out png/jpgs or stripping things out of .dlls (phcanimages.dll is out of control! 10meg of bitmaps for a dialer?! see: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86398&page=2 and now that I use iDialer/iContacts I wonder if I need it at all...)

PS. Anyone out there found a SIP program for VoIP they actually like? I've tried PortSIP, Talkonaut, Fring... all are somewhat underwhelming. And how much can I use Google Voice+SIP for free calls before Spring will notice?
Old 02-25-2010, 02:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by eval- View Post

But Sense 2.1 is so much faster on my Diamond... am I doing something wrong? Also it seems to leave me much more free space? What are the advantages of Sense 2.5, I can't really tell. Is it more usable in some way?
I'm in the same camp... I love wm 6.5.3/Sense 2.1. I tried sense 2.5 but I really miss the call history link on the today page and the speed and battery life of 2.1.

I'm not that worried about having a 6.5.3/2.1 rom created with every new sys but it would be nice to have a stable 6.5.3 sys with sense 2.1 but without Opera and GoogleMaps. Kinda a last hoo-rah ROM for sense 2.1.

Last edited by apinkel; 02-25-2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

vansmack is keeping up the good workvansmack is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkel View Post
I'm in the same camp... I love wm 6.5.3/Sense 2.1. I tried sense 2.5 but I really miss the call history link on the today page
What's the difference between the call history link on the today page of 2.1 and hitting the Phone Button on the today page of 2.5 to see the call History?

I haven't used 2.1 in a while, but if I remember correctly, they act the same, or am I wrong about that? The only difference would be the photos next to the people you've called in 2.5...
Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

manekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuffmanekineko knows their stuff

Quote:

The biggie for me is that it's capable of auto updating your information like weather on a schedule, rather than "auto" updating it when you look at it. I always hated on older Sense builds how when you view the weather, it's either out of date or in the process of updating.

Email tab is much better now too, actually usable for reading.

It's been a while since I used 2.1, but last time I did I recall really missing 2.5.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP2 & HD2
Carrier: Sprint & T-Mobile

rhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuffrhacy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabroso View Post
TO EVERYONE: You can use "Advance Config" (is inside "settings" and "HTC personalization tab") included in OMJ ROMs to relocated some "default" folder locations to the "internal storage". I personaly relocated: "apps data", "program files", My documents, My music, My photos, My videos, My ebooks, "favorities", "internet temporal", "cookies", "history", etc., etc, etc.
Just go to the "Location" section and make your changes by selecting where is the new folders (no need to manually write the hole path).

Rhacy,
In a kindness (gentel) way I will invite you to test install Google Maps 4.0.0 in "Internal Storage". As OMJ said it also save the "Apps data" in the "internal storage".

Sabroso, with all due respect (gentle ), I've been able to easily move most folders and change the default location to Internal Storage, including Application Data. Moreover, Sktools and Advanced Config have been able change the paths without any errors shown. Unfortunately, the Application Data always reloads back to it's default Main Storage location after a soft reset, or after using a program that has an App Data Folder, or after a restart of HTC Sense or earlier Manila versions. That said, if anyone could please show me how to permanently move all current and future Application Data to Internal Storage, I would be extremely thankful for the enlightenment, to say the least. BTW, I just tried to move the Main Storage App Data to Internal Storage again with Advanced Config, and after the mandatory soft reset, the App Data is back on Main Storage once again, d'oh! Please note that even when you see an App Data Folder in Internal Storage, it does not mean that the actual data for your programs will be there.

In regard to Gmaps, thank you kindly Sabroso for the info! I will install the new Google Maps 4 to Internal Storage next ROM flash. If it does load it's App Data to Internal Storage, that will be fantastic, as well as unlike any previous Gmaps release for WM. Thank you as well for mentioning Slide2Shutdown. It looks like an excellent alternative to the sometimes buggy PSshutXP. Cheers!

OMJ, in regard to LZX Compression, my concerns are that it may use more Main Program Memory and possibly slow the system down somewhat. To clarify, years back when I used UPX Compression a lot, I found that while it did save Main Storage, there was a trade off. It also used more Main Program Memory to open everything and appeared to slow performance a little as well. That one of the reasons why I'm a little hesitant to run any extra compression at this time. Nonetheless, OMJ, I'd really like to hear your results with it, as well as if you feel any trade off in speed or available RAM is worth the space gain.

Best to all,
R
Old 02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: sprint htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

xraytech8704 is keeping up the good workxraytech8704 is keeping up the good work

OMJ,

evertime i make a call on the 2.5 2012 28014 v1.2 the taskbar menu appears. is it suppose to be that way or is it a bug. pic included.

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen01.jpg (9.8 KB, 17 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Hawaii Tom is just getting started

Re: call history question. Original TF3D had both Call History and Voicemail, with calendar appts. popping up. Give the choice of one, you're right vansmack, history is only one button press away. I really liked the big Voicemail banner and the fact that it would dial my voicemail when i hit it. Calendar appts. are just one push away on the home tabs. I guess I would really like to get the voicemail banner back. Maybe I'll downgrade to Sense 2.1 and try it out vs. 2.5. Always like the latest and greatest but face it, 2.5 was probably really written for longer screens than 640, like 480 x 800.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: intrepid, htc touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint, boost, t-mobile

lost_ is a n00b

Trying out OMJ_Diamond_SENSE_2.1_28014_v1.3 -- very nice, fast and simple, but how would I do a 3-way/conf-call? There isn't a button or menu to "Add a Call". Anyone know how to add that back?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond
Carrier: Bell Mobility

higher diamonds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhigher diamonds is becoming a PPCGeeks regularhigher diamonds is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkel View Post
I'm in the same camp... I love wm 6.5.3/Sense 2.1. I tried sense 2.5 but I really miss the call history link on the today page and the speed and battery life of 2.1.

I'm not that worried about having a 6.5.3/2.1 rom created with every new sys but it would be nice to have a stable 6.5.3 sys with sense 2.1 but without Opera and GoogleMaps. Kinda a last hoo-rah ROM for sense 2.1.
I always end back up with sense 2.1 as well

Here is a cool text messaging tab mod for sense 2.1
by kimi_sae_ireba

more info and cab found here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=880

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Diamond > CDMA Diamond Development