PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer
Not eligible to upgrade on your voice line? You may be in luck if you have an Airave!

I've always prided myself on the extent of my wireless knowledge. I don't mean to sound ****y, but I, like many of you, scour tech blogs and forums to get the most up to date info, and to learn all of the tricks and trades of the industry. I've also been a VZW employee for a few years now, so I thought I had all of my bases covered. Well, I missed this one.

You might not have any voice lines that are currently eligible to upgrade, but if you're using an Airave, you may be in luck. An Airave requires a separate line of service, and it also has it's own mobile number. I'm not eligible to upgrade my voice line until August, but my Airave line is currently eligible, so come June 4th, I will be doing an alternate upgrade to get the EVO 4G for my voice line, but using the upgrade eligibility on my Airave line.

I've been familiar with the ability to do alternate upgrades for quite some time, but I never knew that Airave lines gained upgrade eligibility, until speaking with a Sprint rep yesterday (and then speaking with 2 more to confirm). VZW's network extender (same thing as Sprint's Airave) operates in a very different fashion. With VZW, you simply purchase the network extender, and as long as your have a high speed internet connection, your device works. VZW does not have a monthly feature cost to operate their network extender, like Sprint requires for the Airave. Likewise, VZW's network extender cannot gain upgrade eligibility, since it does not require a separate line of service.

Maybe this will help others out there who are limited on their upgrade options, but currently have an Airave in their home/work, etc.

EDIT: Really? I can't say c*ocky on PPCgeeks?

Last edited by MidwestDrummer; 05-23-2010 at 03:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2 & HTC Hero

sikclown is keeping up the good worksikclown is keeping up the good work
Re: Not eligible to upgrade on your voice line? You may be in luck if you have an Air

Interesting.... Umm why do you have Sprint service if you work for Verizon? Just curious
Old 05-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2

interccessor is a n00b
Re: Not eligible to upgrade on your voice line? You may be in luck if you have an Air

My full upgrade is August. I asked for credit. They sent me an email that once I purchase the Evo they will credit 75.00 right away. Now I'll get my full upgrade. Sweet!!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

MidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regularMidwestDrummer is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to MidwestDrummer Send a message via MSN to MidwestDrummer Send a message via Yahoo to MidwestDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Interesting.... Umm why do you have Sprint service if you work for Verizon? Just curious
EDIT: The paranoid guy who doesn't wanna lose his job won out. I decided to clear all the number and the employee discount amount. I'll just say that I'm paying less with Sprint, than I would be with VZW, even as an employee. I mean, look at that EPIC WIN down there in my sig.

Last edited by MidwestDrummer; 05-23-2010 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quiksmage is becoming a great contributor

MidwestDrummer. My plan is almost identical to yours and I'm giving it up in 2 weeks for the EVO =(. Feels bad.

But **** YEAH EVO!!!!!!! =D>

I have the airave as well. If i wanted to get the EVO from my airave's supposed phone upgrade thingy, how would I go about doing it from the sprint website? I'd like to save my $150 upgrade on my main line if possible.

Last edited by Quiksmage; 05-23-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

ssteven365 is becoming a great contributor

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the device have to be on a plan of a certain dollar amount or more to be eligible for an upgrade? Something like $39.99? If so, would the airrave be eligible to "upgrade"? I only pay 4.99/month for my airrave.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc diamond
Carrier: sprint

iwillfearnoevil is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteven365 View Post
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the device have to be on a plan of a certain dollar amount or more to be eligible for an upgrade? Something like $39.99? If so, would the airrave be eligible to "upgrade"? I only pay 4.99/month for my airrave.
a lot of ppl have done this at slickdeals forum and documented the process. they've been doing it for awhile with other phones, i don't see why evo would be different.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

So how much would the Evo 4G be with the Airave upgrade? I have one too and was at a Sprint Authorized dealer a few days ago and they said the same thing, and I even say it on there computer screen...I would like to know what the price would be due to the fact thats not my primary line?

Any Ideas?
Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G Touch

ChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuffChrisH09 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteven365 View Post
If your on Verizons Network, but not on Sprints. Also like he said with Verizon's network extender, it doesn't have a phyical phone number attached to it, unlike the Airave does...this happened not to long ago...when Sprint updated their website, they also did some changes to where if you have a Airave, it has a phone number attached to it...and by that being there its eligible for an upgrade..I don't know why Sprint did that but hell, if it means getting a Evo before my August 1st Primary line 1 year upgrade..then hell I might just do it..
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

ssteven365 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwillfearnoevil View Post
a lot of ppl have done this at slickdeals forum and documented the process. they've been doing it for awhile with other phones, i don't see why evo would be different.
That's great news. Can you give me a link to the slickdeals post that describes this, or tell me the process?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion