PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive
Carrier: Sprint

NYC Guy is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I switch from Verizon to Sprint and pay the penalty?

I am a long time Big Red customer mostly due to their excellent coverage wherever I go in the USA. I travel to LA, Chicago & Miami/West Palm Beach a few times a year. I used to be on AT&T and live on the upper westside of Manhattan where I experienced dropped calls using AT&T on a regular basis which is why I jumped to Verizon many years ago.

Lately I have been dissatified with Verizon's customer service, stripped down phones and higher prices. I know that Sprint is not known for exorbitant prices and will be lower than Verizon if I match up the plans. Sprint usually offers you more in the exact same phone and usually has more functional & user friendly cases (eg. HTC Touch & Touch Pro) On the other hand I also know that Sprint has never had a good reputation for customer service.

What is pushing me to switch is the ongoing problems I have experienced with my XV6900 (HTC Touch). I have had three phones replaced in a year and lately have had to do two hard resets and reprogram the phone in the last 6 weeks due to software problems on their official 6.1 ROM. All that Verizon's customer service department has offered to do is give me another 6900 which I have rejected as I am tired of having the same headache over and over again.

My contract is up next June and if I port my number over to Sprint now I would have to pay Big Red's early termination fee. The next phone I am looking to buy is the HTC Touch Pro 2 and as you know both carriers will be carrying that model.

So what are the pros and cons of switching before my contract is up?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community
Re: Should I switch from Verizon to Sprint and pay the penalty?

Wait.
As for sprint CS, its acually quite good. CAll and be NICE! if you get a bad rep - hang up and call again.
Get the TP2 when your contract runs out on sprint is the best way to do it IMHO.
you won't get TP2 now so no reason to cancell now. Maybe after its released you might terminate - but you want your "sign up with sprint" to help you pay for the TP2 - if not get it for free.
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
Wait.
Maybe after its released you might terminate - but you want your "sign up with sprint" to help you pay for the TP2 - if not get it for free.
What exactly is "sign up with sprint"?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I agree with Mordy. Sprint's CS is wonderful, and the new CEO did a great job in assuring that customer satisfaction be moved to the top of their priorities. I love Sprint, and like you mentioned, the prices simply cannot be beat. I also agree with Mordy that perhaps you can wait a little while so you don't have to pay the termination fee (or at least not as much) since the TP2 will not be out until next month (hopefully- fingers crossed). But, look at the money you will save with Sprint and try to determine when it will even out if you do have to pay the early term fee. If its only a few months, then you may as well do it sooner than later.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

You may even consider calling Sprint and tell them you are considering going changing carriers and that you will be subject to an ETF with your current carrier. They may offer some discounts to offset your penalty.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmanc View Post
You may even consider calling Sprint and tell them you are considering going changing carriers and that you will be subject to an ETF with your current carrier. They may offer some discounts to offset your penalty.
That is an excellent idea. Do you know of anyone that has receive a discount like this to switch?
Old 08-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
That is an excellent idea. Do you know of anyone that has receive a discount like this to switch?
My coworker did. he said he called several times until he finally got someone to do it. Worth a shot at least.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Guy View Post
I am a long time Big Red customer mostly due to their excellent coverage wherever I go in the USA. I travel to LA, Chicago & Miami/West Palm Beach a few times a year. I used to be on AT&T and live on the upper westside of Manhattan where I experienced dropped calls using AT&T on a regular basis which is why I jumped to Verizon many years ago.
In NYC (and the Northeast in general) Verizon has a superior coverage map.

You may get a better deal and better customer support but if you're looking to use your phone as... well.. A PHONE than no one beats Verizon in NYC. I'd ask around co-workers/friends/etc. who are on Sprint and ask them what kind of coverage they get in and around the city before you make the switch.

If "good enough" coverage is OK for you, then Sprint would probably be OK.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:05 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II
Carrier: Verizon

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

I think it all depends on what you're coverage requirements are, as ksg alluded to. If you need superior coverage, stay w/ VZW. A lower monthly bill does you no good, if the service is not what you need. This is the identical situation I've found myself in. I've been w/ VZW for a few years now, but it's the only carrier that provides solid coverage in my corner of Los Angeles. I'm paying more than I might w/ Sprint, for example, but I've had few dropped calls or dead spots.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:29 AM
ksg
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TP2, TP1, Kaiser, Apache & HP iPAQ hx2495b
Carrier: Verizon (formerly Alltel)

ksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuffksg knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekcop View Post
I think it all depends on what you're coverage requirements are, as ksg alluded to. If you need superior coverage, stay w/ VZW. A lower monthly bill does you no good, if the service is not what you need.
*shrug* Your phone is only as good as the network its on. For people who don't travel, or stay regional in an area that is well serviced by one particular provider then it doesn't matter. For those people regional providers like Cricket and/or Metro PCS would probably be just fine. However, if you travel (a lot), then network coverage is going to be very important to you.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion