PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 01:21 AM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Re: sprint 4g pre?!

will tp2 be wimax?

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 7380
Carrier: sprint rated #1

beefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuffbeefcakeb0 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to beefcakeb0 Send a message via Yahoo to beefcakeb0

kind of off but on topic... isnt the 4g after the removal of the second camera kind of spit in the face? or would the phone not be supported on 4g?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

sorge is becoming a great contributor

No the TP2 won't be Wimax, at least I don't believe so, it'll be off in the fall. I hope the next one will be though, with at least a stronger processor, more ram, and a full size headphone jack. I'm not even convince phones need 4G, at least until they gain the ability to load webpages faster with the speed they already have.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Wimax is still a good ways off for general use. I would imagine there won't be any 4g devices until someone puts out a mobile radio that does 1x/Ev/WiMax. Just like EVDO took a little while to get mass coverage, Wimax will likely be the same. Even today there are lots of places in the boonies where I only see 1x but the EVDO area has steadily grown.

Also, a few years ago, it was all of us Palm and PPC geeks who cared about things like EVDO vs 1x but nowadays with the rise of high-end feature- and smart-phones, data services have taken a spot at the front of the most desired capability lists. High speed data is a marketing point nowadays whereas years ago it wasn't so much.

I think that netbooks and smartphones will be the best use of 4G wireless. When I used Sprint's WiMax here in Baltimore, it was kind of redundant on my laptop because I could almost always find Wifi or use WMWiFiRouter. A more convergent device would make better use of the higher speed wireless.

Still, I think coverage should not be neglected. If it weren't for those 1x spots, I could use my phone as a streaming radio while driving cross country. As it is now, I can only do that in more urban and suburban areas. Speed isn't the limit so much as coverage is.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
No Mo' WinMo :(
Pocket PC: Nexus 7 / Galaxy Note 3 / Droid Ultra
Carrier: Verizon

MrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIPMrHawaii is a VIP

Also, don't think of WiMAX in just phones/aircards. I know this is a PPC forum site, but they are hoping to expand WiMAX into other devices too. Anything that could benefit from mobile internet access.

Think Digital Camera/Camcorder WiMAX enabled. Able to send pic/vids right from the camera to your friends and family. Or being able to load them to facebook, myspace, etc. right from the camera.

Think PSP2 WiMAX enabled. Able to battle your friends online, when your sitting on a bus/train on the ride home from school/work.

Think of medical technoligies, maybe being able to monitor our heart rates, blood pressure, blood/sugar level and being able to alarm us or medical professionals if an unfortunate situation arises.

Think of what cellular technology brought to society and what it enabled us to do. Now think of what the internet brought to society and what it enabled us to do. Now you merge those two things together, and imagine what could happen with truly mobile internet. The capabilities are endless. That is what WiMAX (and other 4G technologies) can bring to the table. I can't wait!

Last edited by MrHawaii; 04-14-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:09 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Diamond

00gt1 is keeping up the good work00gt1 is keeping up the good work

Wimax is an awesome technology as stated above.... it also has been implemented a lot sooner than our competitors (At&t and LTE) and has shown to be stable in our test markets. As for the pre... soon... think soon....

If you need help... just ask... my PM box is always open

Don't forget to hit the

Yes i'm a sprint employee... no you cant have sero access.... unless you're REALLY nice!!
Old 04-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Sprint's 4G wireless infrastructure has been in place nationwide for some time now. The reason why they're slowly turning it on is because they do things the right way with their network (unlike other US carriers); they are making sure backhaul is in place before they flip it on.

This is why all of the other carriers are so far behind them in 4G rollout. Sprint had three companies implement WiMax in the US to speed the buildout. Now they are already ahead of all the other carriers because if they wanted to go live with 4G today, they could. But now they are waiting on the implementation of higher-speed links to towers so they can handle the increased bandwidth usage.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G 1.4Ghz

svtracer05 is a n00b

If you look at the sprint palm pre website, under wireless conectivity, it shows not only wifi 802.11 b/g but it also shows 802.1X authentication..... This got me thinking and I called sprint advanced tech support...

They told me the palm pre is being held back from distrubution until they are all upgraded with.... 4g WIMAX radios!!!!

So yes Sprint Palm Pre will have 4g Wimax capability unless the Sprint Tech lied to me...
Old 05-07-2009, 07:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sorge is becoming a great contributor

If the Pre has Wimax, it wins hands down.....and I'll be upgrading my Touch Pro....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

TECHNICALLY its pre-4G, Official 4G is when EVERYONE agrees on a set speed standard for true 4G

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion