PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint

EyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good workEyeB is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
AT&T starts throttling

Quote:
So last month, AT&T "throttled" Trang's iPhone, slowing downloads by roughly 99 percent. That means a Web page that would normally take a second to load instead took almost two minutes.
AT&T has some 17 million customers with "unlimited data" plans that can be subject to throttling, representing just under half of its smartphone users. It stopped signing up new customers for those plans in 2010, and warned last year that it would start slowing speeds for people who consume the most data.
Quote:
AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said that as of last summer, the top 5 percent of data users were using 2 gigabytes of data per month
:O they consider 2gb top data users? Isn't that one of their lowest data tiers? Not that I hit that much myself lol but still suprising

Limit On AT&T's 'Unlimited Data' Plan Surprises Some Customers

Last edited by EyeB; 02-13-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: AT&T starts throttling

As @DaveTN used to put it ;unlimited is um,limited. That's bogus that they aren't telling people where the throttle line is like what T-mobile is doing. I just broke my 10GB limit with them and am now being throttled.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
As @DaveTN used to put it ;unlimited is um,limited. That's bogus that they aren't telling people where the throttle line is like what T-mobile is doing. I just broke my 10GB limit with them and am now being throttled.
@eric whats your throttle speed?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Banned User

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP

its pretty reasonable, i can still listen to slacker radio and other music streaming apps. i get anywhere from 96 to 324kbps throttled. which is still faster than anything i've gotten with sprint in my last months with them
Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM
N00b

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl

man thats pretty much dial-up speeds that sucks
Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak

Yeah, that does suck. But if that is better than he was getting from Sprint and he is saving money, I think it's a win-win for eric.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfreak View Post
Yeah, that does suck. But if that is better than he was getting from Sprint and he is saving money, I think it's a win-win for eric.
@rainfreak and especially considering that I can still stream radio,look at Facebook posts and comment without errors. None of that I could do with sprint. But tomorrow I'm back to the speeds in my sig.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I did this math for someone in another forum:

Assuming the average data use is 1GB (which according to some cisco article, it was most recently) and that the top 1% use 24% of all data (same source) we can project that the top 5% of all users use roughly 70-80% of all data. Remove them from the sample size, and the AVERAGE use among the remaining 95% is...

310MB.

So yep, you very quickly enter the top 5%.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Banned User

I use 310MB a day at least.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:19 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
I use 310MB a day at least.
so your throttled after 2GB?
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion