PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Discussion (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Clear.com (aka: clearwire; aka: the 4g tower people...) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136343)

toviaheli 11-02-2010 02:33 AM

Clear.com (aka: clearwire; aka: the 4g tower people...)

Just an FYI for those interested in a phone service to compete with other companies offering 4G...

Hold off until January 1, 2011 if you're out of contract and considering jumping ship to another carrier or signing up on a new 2-year with someone who offers 4G.

Clear.com is about to jump into the cell phone game (Rumored, but a reliable source).

>Sprint leases towers from them...

hypeo 11-02-2010 01:19 PM

Re: Clear.com (aka: clearwire; aka: the 4g tower people...)

FYI, Sprint owns more than half of Clearwire stock which makes them pretty much the owners of them. So it is probably going to be another subsidy from sprint kind of like Boost or Virgin mobile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by toviaheli (Post 1986073)
Just an FYI for those interested in a phone service to compete with other companies offering 4G...

Hold off until January 1, 2011 if you're out of contract and considering jumping ship to another carrier or signing up on a new 2-year with someone who offers 4G.

Clear.com is about to jump into the cell phone game (Rumored, but a reliable source).

>Sprint leases towers from them...

BooDaddy 11-05-2010 10:16 AM

Hypeo is correct. I really dont think sprint "leases" towers from Clear, but more or less shares the cost of those towers. Clear is a conglomerate of several companies together. Sprint is main holder, Comcast, and a few others are as well. Each of the parent companies board members also sit on the board for Clear.

demonlordoftheround 11-05-2010 10:48 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That would be great if they were to offer 4G in my area as Sprint does not and does not look to be in the near future.

kingsfan626 12-14-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 1988666)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; MSM Build/MASTER) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

That would be great if they were to offer 4G in my area as Sprint does not and does not look to be in the near future.

Don't feel bad. I'm in Sprint's 4G area and still can't get a connection. Keep calling and keep getting 2 different stories. "Tech support knows about it and is fixing it" or "Cell towers are being set up and you will have service at the end of 2010". Still don't know what month comes after December that is part of 2010.

kaoss_11 12-14-2010 05:30 PM

any proof? from what i know sprint owns or has a large share of clear so how would they or why would they lease towers from them. source of you info?

gTen 12-14-2010 10:05 PM

I think clearwire owns some towers and sprint owns other towers..then when a person joins in a clearwire area, sprint pays for that subscriber monthly to clear....thats why clear is complaining, because if its a sprint area, clear gets nothing lol

demonlordoftheround 12-14-2010 10:48 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Well Clear needs to do something as I read an article saying they would be out of money by early next year. Sprint in the meantime wants them not to open retail outlets and stick strickly to 4G towers.

austin420 12-15-2010 10:54 AM

clear has retail in my area. they sell a 3g 4g modem that falls back on sprint with unlimited data for 30 dollars or 40 dollars depending.
Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider

toviaheli 12-21-2010 06:37 PM

A friend of mine has the clear consumer sales contract for several states and said they're planning on rolling out their own wireless phones 1Q2011.