PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: Alltel

hillsmi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need help choosing...

In my current MI market, Alltel is still Alltel, but doesn't look for long.

Apparently, I've discovered over the past few days, that the Alltel / VZW merger initially made no mention to customers that AT&T was hiding in the wings.

Soon, it looks as though my beloved Alltel service WILL NOT become VZW, but rather AT&T.

AT&T site states that old VZW devices will be replaced, free of charge, with comparable AT&T handsets.

I currently own an HTC Touch Pro. What is the current AT&T equivalent to the TP? (Also would like to consider (but not my most important concern) a phone with customizable / flashable ROM ability; WinMobile device?)

I don't know what the choices will be, but if you know of AT&T matches for the TP, what would you choose?

On the other hand, I've also been reading not-so-good things related to the AT&T network as it compares to VZW.

If you were being forced to switch from VZW / Alltel to AT&T, would you stay with AT&T, try to get VZW from another market, or go with Sprint?

I believe with Sprint, I can keep my CDMA TP active, correct? (Sprint is CDMA, correct?)

What are anyone's thoughts on this, especially if you've already had to go through the Alltel merger transition to VZW, and possibly to AT&T?

Opinions on network reliability / access, pricing plans (family; we currently have 5 phones on a 900 min Nationwide shared plan with Alltel for ~ $140/month and includes 400 in / out texts on two of those 5 lines).

Also, with Sprint and AT&T, are you REQUIRED to be enrolled in a data plan of any kind, if you bring / own your own phone? Currently, with Alltel and my own TP, I am NOT required to pay for data plan because the phone is not under a contract.

Thanks

Last edited by hillsmi; 10-06-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Mr. Chevy
Pocket PC: Kaiser, XV6800, Ozone, & TP2
Carrier: Linearly polarized plane waves in LTE modulation

drewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPdrewcam888 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Need help choosing...

Yes you will be forced to have a data plan on sprint, at&t, or verizon. At&t equilent might be the touch pro 2. You will not legally get your alltel cdma TP active on sprint because it's esn is not in their system.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:10 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

It was in the news how Verizon decided to sell off a part of altell back in 2009:

AT&T ready to pick up some Alltel assets from Verizon « Boy Genius Report

But its not all of Alltel..aka some of it will remain so you prob could get your TP2 working on Verizon.

As for sprint..your phone wont work due to ESN restriction but if service down there is good it may be worth it..let me explain..

Sprint has something called EDRP which costs $110 and $15 each line..

That would end up $155 a month..comes with 1600 total minutes, unlimited data, unlimited mobile to mobile any carrier and unlimited texts.

There are a few phones you can get free or on the cheap (mostly from 3rd parties).. example: Android based Samsung Intercept for $5 in wirefly with new contract...there are also 3 new Android phones coming..as for windows mobile..its pretty much dead..you can prob ebay a TP for fairly cheap these days though or get a TP2 for $100

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

Last edited by gTen; 10-07-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hillsmi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
But its not all of Alltel..aka some of it will remain so you prob could get your TP2 working on Verizon.
I'm pretty sure that my area will go to AT&T...

I went to / thru the VZW site, plugging in my zip code as if I was shopping for a phone in my area, and when I plugged in 48858, an AT&T site appeared, explaining the transitional data.

So, if not by the end of the year, then most-likely by early spring of next is what they are saying is when the takeover will be completed.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsmi View Post
I'm pretty sure that my area will go to AT&T...

I went to / thru the VZW site, plugging in my zip code as if I was shopping for a phone in my area, and when I plugged in 48858, an AT&T site appeared, explaining the transitional data.

So, if not by the end of the year, then most-likely by early spring of next is what they are saying is when the takeover will be completed.
Hmmm..you probably would have to go to a Verizon store...unless they are shedding all MI customers..either way you would have to swap to Verizon plans..so your only options are to stay with AT&T or swap plans altogether.

Also to point out, Sprint roams Verizon for voice and 1x data if there is no sprint network..though looking at coverage map it seems its covered by sprint.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP with Twisted Access 1.5
Carrier: Alltel but not for long

hessien is keeping up the good workhessien is keeping up the good work

I also am in a market that will be transitioning to AT&T from Alltel. I have spoken to many of the reps at AT&T and the have stated that AT&T will be sending offer letters on the 16th of this month with the choices of phones that they will give us. I also have a touch pro, and they stated that the closest equivalent will be the Tilt 2(Touch Pro 2). Also, if you accept one of the phones they offer you, they will allow you to continue your current rate plan. If you choose to upgrade, then you will have to follow what their contract states. If you stay with your current plan and do not upgrade to an AT&T plan, you WILL NOT get roll-over minutes or any of the other "perks" that would would get if you had an actual AT&T rate plan.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Tilt 2 has too many issues with lag. They do have an android slider coming out pretty soon as well as a whole slew of wm7 phones that only ATT and Tmo will get
Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hillsmi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman1127 View Post
Tilt 2 has too many issues with lag. They do have an android slider coming out pretty soon as well as a whole slew of wm7 phones that only ATT and Tmo will get
But isn't the Tilt2 (TP2) same as TP? Same processor, etc? So where's the lag if a TP works great? Maybe the lag is the network? I'm not a phone expert by any means.

And the Android slider and WM7 phones probably won't be out in the next month or two when we are going to be forced to choose. And those probably won't be 'comparable' to my TP. The comparables are offered free without contracts.
Old 10-08-2010, 04:44 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

hillsmi is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessien View Post
I also am in a market that will be transitioning to AT&T from Alltel. I have spoken to many of the reps at AT&T and the have stated that AT&T will be sending offer letters on the 16th of this month with the choices of phones that they will give us. I also have a touch pro, and they stated that the closest equivalent will be the Tilt 2(Touch Pro 2). Also, if you accept one of the phones they offer you, they will allow you to continue your current rate plan. If you choose to upgrade, then you will have to follow what their contract states. If you stay with your current plan and do not upgrade to an AT&T plan, you WILL NOT get roll-over minutes or any of the other "perks" that would would get if you had an actual AT&T rate plan.
What ATT 'perks' do you speak of?

What are you leaning toward doing when you get your letter? Taking the Tilt, or upgrading and being bound to a contract?
Old 10-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Master Kimosabi
Pocket PC: HTC s620<Touch Pro<Touch Pro2<Hero<EVO
Carrier: The 10 years ago Network

aman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on repaman1127 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsmi View Post
But isn't the Tilt2 (TP2) same as TP? Same processor, etc? So where's the lag if a TP works great? Maybe the lag is the network? I'm not a phone expert by any means.

And the Android slider and WM7 phones probably won't be out in the next month or two when we are going to be forced to choose. And those probably won't be 'comparable' to my TP. The comparables are offered free without contracts.
I also had a tp2 (from sprint) while my friend had a tilt2. Mine stock always ran faster. It seems that the tilt has a memory leak issue. My friend has gone through 3 of them.

Not only that, if you have an upgrade, why get old hardware (unless you are getting it not on contract, used, then I see why)?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion