PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 11:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)
Carrier: Sprint

PhatboyNYC is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question re: Sprint and ESN following closure of account

I've been pming with another member of the site to purchase a phone from him. At first he stated that the ESN was clear but now he isn't so sure. The following is what he said:

Quote:
I have been fighting with sprint for months (8 year customer) because in a 6 week period I was charged 1500.00 with no overage and absolutely no reason they don't seem to care so I am no longer going to pay my bill I am now with a new carrier so soon sprint will realize this. I t my belief that if someone were to add this to there account before any of this takes place the phone would be clear. Please feel free to research this and let me know.
Can anyone provide any input? Does having an account closed for non-payment flag the ESN of the phone itself as if it were stolen?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community
Re: Question re: Sprint and ESN following closure of account

I'm no Sprint rep but my assumption would be, if the phone is still under the 2 year contract or whatever timeframe the contract was for, and the bill isn't being paid, and he/she hasn't paid the ETF, it's gonna be a bad ESN. I may be wrong, but if he/she still owes Sprint money, you have to believe the ESN is gonna be bad. And even if it's good and you activate it, can they then go back and cancel it when everything unfolds and they realize they're not getting paid the $1500?
Old 08-23-2010, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Q9c (busted)
Threadstarter

PhatboyNYC is just getting started

That's what I was thinking...let's say someone signs up with Sprint for a brand new EVO then decides not to pay. If there were no restrictions on the ESN, the person could go ahead and sell the EVO and pocket the money, despite owing Sprint money for the phone and/or service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingmedic View Post
And even if it's good and you activate it, can they then go back and cancel it when everything unfolds and they realize they're not getting paid the $1500?
That was another one of my concerns.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: SGS III

fishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the communityfishingmedic is a trusted member of the community

Exactly. I'd be a little leary of that. good luck, there's plenty of them out there, so you should be able to get one for a decent price.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Carrier Discussion