PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Blackberry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   [How To] Load New OS --eenie version (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125405)

eenieMINI 06-16-2010 11:19 AM

[How To] Load New OS --eenie version

A member recently asked:
Quote:

(Originally by damarcomclemore)---
i am currently running the sprint release of os 5.0.0.624 and i just found Mr. x new os version on here. I downloaded it onto my laptop and just wanted to know if i had to do a roll back on my os before i installed the new one from here. i also have bbsak loaded on my laptop if that helps. any information you can give me on this would be of great importance. thanks in advance
Here's my basic answer: (my experience, though limited; my opinion, though not always educated)
No need to revert OS to load new OS. However, its cleaner (and can often avoid error messages) to run a full backup then wipe the device. Wiping the device means removing all OS software so you get a message reading "load software 552". Then there is no "overwriting" of COD files but nice clean load. It also makes "finding" the upgrade/downgrade a piece of cake!

In the next post I'll list my step by step method and why. Then we can gather other users' methods here in this thread to help new users out. Usually we learn from each others posts so don't be silent! Two cents adds up to millions!

eenieMINI 06-16-2010 11:20 AM

Re: [How To] Load New OS --eenie version

OK Here is my method,

Preparation:
  1. Download and Install current version of Desktop Manager.
  2. Sync your phone to PC to be sure all drivers load and DM sees your phone.
  3. Download OS exe of your choice. Be sure its specific to your phone model. Some OS have same number/version but are for different models.
  4. 4. Check Add/Remove Programs for other OS installs and unisntall (on PC).
  5. Reboot PC
  6. Take SD card out of phone. SD card data has been known to become corrupt during OS install and the result is spontaneous reboots of your phone later. I make a backup of SD card on my PC, take card out of phone. When all updates/installs are complete I replace SD card in phone, format from phone and then move the data back from PC. May by overkill but it has stopped the spontaneous boots for me so I continue to do it.

Now you're ready to start:
  1. Install OS exe by clicking on downloaded file.
  2. Go to \Program Files(x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\Loader Files and delete "vendor.xml" or rename to .old (IF running OS that is not from your carrier, IE leak or hybrid)
  3. Backup Device: connect to DM go to Backup/Restore then do a backup.
  4. Back up 3rd Party installs (optional as you can always reinstall from vendor) using BBSAK v1.7. To do this run BBSAK as admin (do not use the shortcut go directly to the bbsak.exe in folder). Click Backup/Restore then Backup Apps. Caution: watch your phone! you will see the give/take arrows transferring data, the program on PC will have a popup almost immediately saying success but do not disconnect until you see all the apps in a list window and phone is no longer transferring data, the popup is out of sequence.

OK the fun stuff....
Two ways to go, it doesn't matter which is first so you choose.
I like to keep BBSAK connected and then choose Wipe Device right after I backup. When this happens you get a warning "low level wipe" accept it.
Watch phone, you'll end up with a reboot and a white screen: you're ready!!

You can then load OS using BBSAK and directing to the OS folder (which sometimes loader finds and sometimes not). OR you can use ShrinkAOS to shrink then load your OS.

I use SAOS method because I have to manually direct to the OS folder so I know I'm loading the right one. So Run SAOS as admin, point to the program files(x86)\common files\Research in motion\shared\Loader files and pick the folder of the OS you just installed. Click on any standard app you want to remove or leave it alone your choice. then click "shrink my OS" then click Load OS. Be sure in the next box to check off those standard BB programs like notes, messenger, docs to go stuff or they won't load. And away you go.

Now, OS loads, phone reboots. I then pull battery for 30 seconds. When rebooted again, I begin restore. First use connect to BBSAK and then choose, Modify CODS then LOAD CODS (the restore method has never worked for me so I do it this way). Navigate to backup folder in the BBSAK program folder. Select all or those that you want to run on your new OS. (Be sure they are level compatible like 4.x or 5.x sometimes you need to load updated versions). load, reboot.

Last part: connect to PC one last time. open DM and then do backup/restore, click Advanced! then in the window that comes use the drop down to load the backup you made earlier, should be dated. Go through and highlight the calendar (if you have calendars synced via google/outlook you want to delete this part of the save and resync outwardly instead, if you don't then you can skip this step.) and delete. Then highlight all others and use the right arrow between teh windows to send the backup to the phone.

Reboot.
Check settings, put in reg codes. Pull battery 30 seconds.... get a good charge and you're ready to go.

damarcomclemore 06-16-2010 11:26 AM

I was already looking for this first thing this morning lol.

eenieMINI 06-16-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damarcomclemore (Post 1818435)
I was already looking for this first thing this morning lol.

Here it is!

A few extra points, If you use programs that have saves for settings be sure you've done this before wiping. I use QuickLaunch, BerryWeather, and BBM all three allow to save settings to SD card so you can reset all when you're done reloading apps.

Most programs will need their reg codes re-input. This shouldn't be a problem just log into your mobihand account and look it up. I have purchased from several sites but all have mobihand base, if I log in to one it shows all my purchases. This is where you can swap PINs if you get a new device and/or update to current version of programs. This is also why I don't bother reloading all my backup CODS (programs) just those that I know have no updates. Sometimes clean downloads prevent problems, sometimes there are no problems. :)

OH and a great thing, the backup puts your theme into ONE COD, most themes are 10 or more CODS on first load, but backup scrunches them together which doesn't save space but sure makes it easy to reinstall from time to time. :) I like to keep a bunch of themes but not all at once on my phone so I find a theme I like, load it then back it up into one COD. :)

GirlGoneGeek 06-21-2010 02:03 PM

Go eenieMINI!!! ;) Looks great and I can tell you KNOW what you're talking about. :D

MrObvious 06-21-2010 06:14 PM

Links to BBSAK and Shrink-A-OS would be nice but nice writeup.

eenieMINI 06-23-2010 12:18 PM

I know I got lazy.. .I'll fix it in a bit, gotta run now.

GirlGoneGeek 06-23-2010 06:09 PM

Is BBSAK still working for you all? It should be expired by now....hmmm Wide is making a newer version now that's super awesome and sexy. :D

eenieMINI 06-23-2010 11:39 PM

Works for me well last week it did. Please don't break it, I live on that program.

info[]box1 07-06-2010 04:15 PM

Wirelessly posted (HTC_Touch_Pro2_T7373 Opera/9.7 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

nice write up Brenn :)

edit: Thanks hit and Thank you again for everything you do for BBGeekers...