PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Blackberry (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   [How To] Load New OS --eenie version (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=125405)

Mojary 07-28-2010 11:18 PM

Re: [How To] Load New OS --eenie version

Noob question. What does shrinking the OS do? I think I got an idea but better to ask than keep thinking my guess is the right answer.

info[]box1 07-28-2010 11:52 PM

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BlackBerry; Opera Mini/5.1.21052/19.886; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojary
Noob question. What does shrinking the OS do? I think I got an idea but better to ask than keep thinking my guess is the right answer.

Shrink an OS allow you to trim away bloat items from a OS. Such as Nfl this Nfl that, extra languages and a ton of other stuff. I can shrink nearly half the OS and free up tons of device memory. In essence speed up and increase performance.

eenieMINI 07-29-2010 12:31 AM

Some of that bloat is only links and will return (pushed by provider) but SAOS is great for languages, unused defaults, games etc.

mindfrost82 07-29-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eenieMINI (Post 1887808)
Some of that bloat is only links and will return (pushed by provider) but SAOS is great for languages, unused defaults, games etc.

Yeah, I usually use it to get rid of the languages and some default games that I don't use.

Mojary 07-29-2010 12:50 PM

see...i was only half correct! ok now...how do you know which language to pick for trimming? will it be pretty easy to determine? sorry for the questions.

mindfrost82 07-29-2010 01:58 PM

I delete all of them. American English is the default and I remove everything else.

eenieMINI 07-29-2010 02:05 PM

When you use SAOS you'll have a very easy to follow screen of check boxes... its pretty straightforward. :) No worries Moj you can do it, I'm close by if you end up with troubles.....there's alot of Starbucks between your place and mine!

Mojary 08-06-2010 07:08 PM

I know its a few days late...but thanks miss eenie and mindfrost for the info. I'm dl'ing .732 now from dripther.com. Gonna load it up when its done.

Will hit thanks button for both next time I use the full site.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Mojary 08-06-2010 08:48 PM

man this sucks...waiting for DM update. gotten BBSAK installed and 3rd party apps backed up...found a link for the SAOS...got big red's 732 downloaded. i just wish DM updating itself wouldn't take as long. i mean i already have the previous version...why not just update the files that updated instead of dl'ing the whole damn thing again????????

oh well...it's not like i have anything planned for tonight anyways. but can't wait to get this thing installed. getting sick and tired of the constant signal jumps on this 624 stock.

Mojary 08-06-2010 10:20 PM

HELP!!!!! device is nuked. stuck in the bootload mode after doing OS update via SAOS. all i see is the blackscreen with the word Blackberry and the status bar stuck 2/3 of the way! and then if i leave it like that, after a while, it will start the whole process again.

edit...
nevermind...i was able to get it out of the reboot loop. gonna have to re-install.