PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Testing Extraordinaire
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (RHOD400)
Carrier: Sprint

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tethering questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecensor View Post
Yes, I do the settings-Tethering and portable hot spots and enable tethering, but nothing
Nothing!?!? That sounds like a problem with your PC. As soon as I enable tethering, I get the noises that hardware has change has occurred.

If you have the option to enable USB tether, then the phone is recognizing it correctly. Try another USB port/cable and maybe different computer.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO 2
Carrier: BOOST
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

oh I do get that sound too, and on the phone it says: USB conected and a button 'turn on USB storage' which I dismiss by pressing the home key, then I turn on USB tethering, but the computer still doesn't get an IP address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh View Post
Nothing!?!? That sounds like a problem with your PC. As soon as I enable tethering, I get the noises that hardware has change has occurred.

If you have the option to enable USB tether, then the phone is recognizing it correctly. Try another USB port/cable and maybe different computer.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

arrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the communityarrrghhh is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
oh I do get that sound too, and on the phone it says: USB conected and a button 'turn on USB storage' which I dismiss by pressing the home key, then I turn on USB tethering, but the computer still doesn't get an IP address.
Ugh, you're going to make me flash WinMo back aren't you...

Last time I tried this, it "just worked". You're on the newest kernel/rootfs correct?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
Ugh, you're going to make me flash WinMo back aren't you...

Last time I tried this, it "just worked". You're on the newest kernel/rootfs correct?
Why do you need to flash WinMo? the problem may be with my computer but I don't know. kernel version 2.627.46-01356-gd4c73bd GlemSom@autobuild
Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
Why do you need to flash WinMo? the problem may be with my computer but I don't know. kernel version 2.627.46-01356-gd4c73bd GlemSom@autobuild
I'm on OMGB...

Are you on the newest rootfs as well...?

Either USB tethering was broken at some point, or you're not doing it correctly. Have you tried the other suggestions? Different port, cable and computer if possible?
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

Quote:
I'm on OMGB...

Are you on the newest rootfs as well...?

Either USB tethering was broken at some point, or you're not doing it correctly. Have you tried the other suggestions? Different port, cable and computer if possible?
How do I check for Rootfs? I tried different cable/port no difference. I doubt that's the problem because droid explorer works great.
when I plug in to my XP netbook it says 'found new hardware' wizard USB device. and it can;t find drivers.

One more thing. I have installed the sprint stock 6.1. before that I had the stock 6.5 and it tetherd great under winmo with script that modified the registry.

Maybe I should install OMGB?

Last edited by thecensor; 12-13-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
How do I check for Rootfs? I tried different cable/port no difference. I doubt that's the problem because droid explorer works great.
when I plug in to my XP netbook it says 'found new hardware' wizard USB device. and it can;t find drivers.

One more thing. I have installed the sprint stock 6.1. before that I had the stock 6.5 and it tetherd great under winmo with script that modified the registry.

Maybe I should install OMGB?
lol, the solution is not OMGB. That's for testing/development, I wouldn't recommend it unless you want to help troubleshoot. Besides, I haven't been able to get USB tethering to work on that build yet. Just tried it yesterday, so far no go.

However, the fact that your XP "netbook" (odd) is finding new hardware is a good sign. Do you have another 'net connection in which to see if you can search for drivers on that machine?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

I installed the tetherxp.inf driver on my XP netbook then turned on tethering on the phone, Device manager says "Android USB Etherent/RNDIS under 'Network adapters' and the netbook gets the good IP address of 192.168.42.17, but I can't ping yahoo.com nor can I surf the web.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Testing Extraordinaire

Quote:
I installed the tetherxp.inf driver on my XP netbook then turned on tethering on the phone, Device manager says "Android USB Etherent/RNDIS under 'Network adapters' and the netbook gets the good IP address of 192.168.42.17, but I can't ping yahoo.com nor can I surf the web.
DNS perhaps?

Can you ping 8.8.8.8? Are you able to ping the default gateway? ipconfig /all will show what is being used for DNS servers.

This is definitely progress tho.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thecensor is a n00b

I can ping both:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 5: