PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   average time before corrupt data.img? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147708)

markw5252 10-26-2011 04:37 PM

average time before corrupt data.img?

I've been using FRX07.1 since it came out (frx06 and 07 when they were out) and I'm just wondering what the average time is before you have to delete the data.img and start over due to corruption. for me, I would say about every three days. The absolute max I've been able to go has been one week.

I have no idea if this is normal or not, I sift through as many posts I can on the frx07.1 thread in xda-forums and have never seen this talked about.

arrrghhh 10-26-2011 04:46 PM

Re: average time before corrupt data.img?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw5252 (Post 2152496)
I've been using FRX07.1 since it came out (frx06 and 07 when they were out) and I'm just wondering what the average time is before you have to delete the data.img and start over due to corruption. for me, I would say about every three days. The absolute max I've been able to go has been one week.

I have no idea if this is normal or not, I sift through as many posts I can on the frx07.1 thread in xda-forums and have never seen this talked about.

I've run for months on the same data.img...

Supposedly a journaled FS will resolve the corruption issues, but journaled FS' on SD cards seem like a bad idea.

markw5252 10-26-2011 04:52 PM

do you think it could be my microSD card? maybe causing bad writes?

arrrghhh 10-26-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw5252 (Post 2152498)
do you think it could be my microSD card? maybe causing bad writes?

Could be. Why do you feel your data.img keeps getting corrupt? The usual indication is apps FC like crazy.

markw5252 10-26-2011 05:30 PM

well I've had a few different reoccurring issues that make me delete the data.img and then do a TB restore on a fresh boot.
1. Repeated force close of apps
2. Get stuck in the boot process (stuck on xdandroid loading screen indefinitely or stuck in loop before the break in the boot sequence.) occasionally restarting and running haret again works.
3. loss of signal (just an X on the bars cdma w/sprint), even with reboot, disable/enable airplane mode...
4. turn off the phone then maybe 1/4th of the time gets stuck in the boot process (problem 2)
it's usually one of these problems every 2-3 days. I run android all the time, and usually spend an hour restoring with TB. still love it though:)

rpierce99 10-26-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw5252 (Post 2152503)
well I've had a few different reoccurring issues that make me delete the data.img and then do a TB restore on a fresh boot.
2. Get stuck in the boot process (stuck on xdandroid loading screen indefinitely or stuck in loop before the break in the boot sequence.) occasionally restarting and running haret again works.
3. loss of signal (just an X on the bars cdma w/sprint), even with reboot, disable/enable airplane mode...
4. turn off the phone then maybe 1/4th of the time gets stuck in the boot process (problem 2)
it's usually one of these problems every 2-3 days. I run android all the time, and usually spend an hour restoring with TB. still love it though:)

There must be something in either your usage pattern or your hardware that causes this behavior, it is certainly not the norm. Arrrghhh and I both run android 24/7 and very rarely have to fix/replace data.img, do you hard/soft reboot a lot, or maybe run out of battery? If you don't do something abnormal with your phone I'd guess the card or the phone have issues.

arrrghhh 10-26-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw5252 (Post 2152503)

Wacky. If you have another SD card, I would at least give that a shot. If not, at the very least, I would backup all the data on the card, do a full wipe (FAT32) with the HP Tool and then restore all your data.

I certainly don't have any of those problems.... randomly I've had the radio go missing for some reason, but it always comes back. I've had the boot process fail, but it usually wasn't a data.img issue. Only time I've really had to delete the data.img was from FC fests... which I've also found can be resolved with other methods, with limited success.

With that said, I would still lean towards a bad/misbehaving SD. Not sure what else it could be...

highlandsun 10-27-2011 03:38 AM

I haven't to re-init my data.img since ... oh, January? It's been a while...

Sent from my FRX06+ TP2 using Tapatalk

rgviewer 10-27-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw5252 (Post 2152496)

I am having the same problem as you. I get everything set up the way I like it and then within 3 days usually less the phone locks up and then it gets stuck in a loop when booting, or hangs during boot. I have to replace the data file almost daily to keep the phone running. Never realized how much I disliked win mobile till I switched to Android.

I now believe that it is my memory card that is bad. I was using an old 1 gig card a month ago, then fell in love with it so I switched to a newer faster 8 gig card. And I believe that is when I started having all my trouble. I am going to get a new card this weekend but for now going back to my older 1 gig card.

biga1 10-28-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgviewer (Post 2152823)

I now believe that it is my memory card that is bad. I was using an old 1 gig card a month ago, then fell in love with it so I switched to a newer faster 8 gig card. And I believe that is when I started having all my trouble. I am going to get a new card this weekend but for now going back to my older 1 gig card.

If you haven't already read below. I don't recommend getting a Class 10 sdcard.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...rformance.html