PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Gingerbread or Froyo (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=146380)

jacobsdabomb 08-11-2011 02:10 PM

Gingerbread or Froyo

Help me out guys. Not sure which one to get. I'm not heavy on one thing specifically as in gaming or browsing, just what, in your opinion, is the best running system?

arrrghhh 08-11-2011 02:21 PM

Re: Gingerbread or Froyo

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsdabomb (Post 2136752)
Help me out guys. Not sure which one to get. I'm not heavy on one thing specifically as in gaming or browsing, just what, in your opinion, is the best running system?

FroYo. Most things work pretty well on it. GB still has issues with GPS (soon to be fixed) among other things like data flakiness.

You can have both on your SD card assuming you have the space. I say try 'em both, use what you like best!

The GB build certainly feels snappier, but with the bugs I usually stick to FroYo.

jacobsdabomb 08-11-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2136758)
FroYo. Most things work pretty well on it. GB still has issues with GPS (soon to be fixed) among other things like data flakiness.

You can have both on your SD card assuming you have the space. I say try 'em both, use what you like best!

The GB build certainly feels snappier, but with the bugs I usually stick to FroYo.

And do you need GenY Dual Boot for that? Sorry for these questions, just started looking into this this morning.

arrrghhh 08-11-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsdabomb (Post 2136779)
And do you need GenY Dual Boot for that? Sorry for these questions, just started looking into this this morning.

Certainly not.

Gen.Y is just an application that basically runs HaRET.exe for you. This process is run very early, so it *seems* like a dual-boot solution. It's not really, but it works.

As for putting many builds on your SD card, you just need to separate them by folder and adjust the rel_path= setting in each startup.txt. For example, if you have a folder FRX07 on your SD, rel_path=FRX07. Add another build, folder name GRX0A - rel_path=GRX0A for that startup.txt. Make sense?

jacobsdabomb 08-12-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2136784)
Certainly not.

Gen.Y is just an application that basically runs HaRET.exe for you. This process is run very early, so it *seems* like a dual-boot solution. It's not really, but it works.

As for putting many builds on your SD card, you just need to separate them by folder and adjust the rel_path= setting in each startup.txt. For example, if you have a folder FRX07 on your SD, rel_path=FRX07. Add another build, folder name GRX0A - rel_path=GRX0A for that startup.txt. Make sense?

Yes, thank you so much. Another question though, I just downloaded FroYo and the .zip package I downloaded didn't come with a startup.txt file, so I substituted it with another startup.txt file from another package. When I run the HaRET file, it shows the loading screen and says "HaRET: Booting Linux..." but doesn't go past that screen. The loading bar fills up, but then it freezes. Since you're basically a super genius you must know how to solve this.

jacobsdabomb 08-12-2011 02:30 AM

Or better yet, what was the file you downloaded, there seems to be different kinds of FroYo circulating around. The one I downloaded that didn't come with the startup.txt file was called "xdandroid2.2blazn092810.rar" so I added the file from "dan1j3l-leofroyo-1.0.zip"

arrrghhh 08-12-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsdabomb (Post 2136903)
Or better yet, what was the file you downloaded, there seems to be different kinds of FroYo circulating around. The one I downloaded that didn't come with the startup.txt file was called "xdandroid2.2blazn092810.rar" so I added the file from "dan1j3l-leofroyo-1.0.zip"

Where are you getting these downloads? That 'blazn' build is from Sept. 28 2010. The dan1j31 build is for LEO, as in HD2 (completely different device!) Are you getting stuff from this section of the forum or...??!??!

Try this...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...dle-frx07.html

jacobsdabomb 08-12-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrrghhh (Post 2136925)
Where are you getting these downloads? That 'blazn' build is from Sept. 28 2010. The dan1j31 build is for LEO, as in HD2 (completely different device!) Are you getting stuff from this section of the forum or...??!??!

Try this...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/android-tp...dle-frx07.html

And which startup.txt file should I use? I'm not allowed to add them all because I get a message saying "you already have a file named startup.txt, should we replace it?" (or something along those lines) and if I click no, it doesn't add the file and if I click yes, well, it replaces it.

arrrghhh 08-12-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsdabomb (Post 2136967)
And which startup.txt file should I use? I'm not allowed to add them all because I get a message saying "you already have a file named startup.txt, should we replace it?" (or something along those lines) and if I click no, it doesn't add the file and if I click yes, well, it replaces it.

uhm... you only need one startup.txt. Why would you need more?

Pick the one for your phone. You probably have a RHOD400, but reading the FAQ does wonders.

jacobsdabomb 08-12-2011 01:32 PM

I'll just do that because I haven't the slightest idea. Does carrier make a difference?