PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Android On TP2 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Phone call sound only works 50% of time / Updating Android (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134587)

deelirium 09-29-2010 05:14 PM

Phone call sound only works 50% of time / Updating Android

I've searched this forum and haven't found anyone who has this problem since they've gotten sound to work on Android for the TP2.

When I receive or send calls, about 50% of the time the sound will not work at all. For example, if I call someone, I won't even hear the dial tone. If I do immediately hear the dial tone, the call works fine. When receiving a call, I'll pick up and hear nothing.

I've tried the trick of calling voicemail while in Windows Mobile, then putting on speakerphone, then booting Android. This didn't solve the problem.

I'm running the stock Froyo from Project Android and I've run the update tool from the WM startup utility.

And a side question... If I want to switch to the BLAZN build, how do I do this without losing all the preferences and setup I've done on my current build?

I hope I can fix this problem! Everything else about Android is a thousand times better than WinMo, but if I can't trust that the phone will function, it's kind of a dealbreaker.

coolsilver 09-29-2010 05:31 PM

Re: Phone call sound only works 50% of time

Quote:

Originally Posted by deelirium (Post 1960431)
I've searched this forum and haven't found anyone who has this problem since they've gotten sound to work on Android for the TP2.

When I receive or send calls, about 50% of the time the sound will not work at all. For example, if I call someone, I won't even hear the dial tone. If I do immediately hear the dial tone, the call works fine. When receiving a call, I'll pick up and hear nothing.

I've tried the trick of calling voicemail while in Windows Mobile, then putting on speakerphone, then booting Android. This didn't solve the problem.

I'm running the stock Froyo from Project Android and I've run the update tool from the WM startup utility.

And a side question... If I want to switch to the BLAZN build, how do I do this without losing all the preferences and setup I've done on my current build?

I hope I can fix this problem! Everything else about Android is a thousand times better than WinMo, but if I can't trust that the phone will function, it's kind of a dealbreaker.

Don't run the old update utility. It doesn't properly update your zImage and Modules.

I would backup your Data.IMG file before switching to the new build. I would probably bet going to the Blazn build from Reference you MAY be ok. Going from Blazn to REF, probably will fail and need to rebuild it all with new Data.IMG.

Overall update your build. It probably will resolve your issue. Plus there is a NEW Updater!

Aquos1 09-29-2010 05:43 PM

I have this problem too...

deelirium 09-29-2010 05:45 PM

Thanks for your response. I ran the update utility with the zImage and Modules option off, since I knew those wouldn't update properly.

To update to BLAZN without losing all of my setup, do I just copy and paste the latest files from the .rar onto my SD card, replacing the reference build files? Or do I backup my Data.IMG, format my SD card, place the BLAZN files on the SD card, and then place the Data.IMG back on there?

coolsilver 09-29-2010 07:33 PM

The zImage and Modules are the kernel. That is what you DO need to update at minimum to fix the sound issue.

ALWAYS backup your data.img regardless of what build because not every build will work with the old settings.

backup your apps and things with Titanium Backup or similar app
Backup Data.img
Delete old build entirely except data.img
Put new build on
Double check startup.txt for keyboard map and other settings like turning ON Hardware 3d option
Boot.

If it fails to boot in 10 minutes or reboots to windows, delete your data.img and start from scratch. Reinstall your apps as the restoring them may break the settings your new data.img.

Restore at your own risk, not everything will restore.

Sent from my HTC Touch Pro 2 on Android with Tapatalk Pro.

deelirium 09-29-2010 08:49 PM

Re: Phone call sound only works 50% of time / Updating Android

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolsilver (Post 1960626)
Backup Data.img
Delete old build entirely except data.img
Put new build on
Double check startup.txt for keyboard map and other settings like turning ON Hardware 3d option
Boot.

I followed these steps to update to the newest BLAZN build. Booted perfectly, with all settings, desktop, etc. in tact.

I asked a friend to call to test my phone. I answered, and couldn't hear anything. He said he could hear me, though.

Also, I downloaded Titanium Backup, and I have no idea where the 'Backup' or any similar button is. Does this relate to the fact that Android doesn't recognize my SD card (except in Astro file manager)?

coolsilver 09-29-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deelirium (Post 1960703)
I followed these steps to update to the newest BLAZN build. Booted perfectly, with all settings, desktop, etc. in tact.

I asked a friend to call to test my phone. I answered, and couldn't hear anything. He said he could hear me, though.

Also, I downloaded Titanium Backup, and I have no idea where the 'Backup' or any similar button is. Does this relate to the fact that Android doesn't recognize my SD card (except in Astro file manager)?

Great that your settings ported ok. Are you overclocking Windows Mobile at all? Are you booting normally or in a call still. I would also take a look at your startup.txt and make sure there isn't anything for the external speaker listed.

Titanium backup has a backup restore tab. You can backup individual apps and settings or hit the menu button (Windows button) and select batch to backup more than one item at a time.

pirapan 09-30-2010 12:04 AM

I have the same problem. My current workaround is to bring up the menu during a phonecall and turn on/off the speakerphone, then it works okay only for the call. I know it's such a trouble, I am thing going back to WM until I know what it is.:blackeye:

JWise1203 09-30-2010 11:06 AM

I am having the exact same problem as well. I can only hear phone calls about 50% of the time. My data connection also stops working every now and then ... most of the time putting the phone in airplane mode for a few seconds fixes it.

I am running the 9/29 build of BLAZN.

coolsilver 09-30-2010 11:38 AM

Which phone models. Seems like RHOD400 (sprint) had been having some issues based on reports in Reefer's thread.

I have a RHOD500 (verizon)

Sent from my HTC Touch Pro 2 on Android with Tapatalk Pro.