PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2010, 05:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A power consumption question re: Android.

I've been curious about this for a while. Supposedly, WM6.5 had better power management and battery life than WM6.1. I wonder, is this the case with Android?

Generally, we can expect to get worse battery life with a ported OS than one built natively, at least during the opening phases of development. But I noticed on my wife's Sprint Touch that her device, underpowered as it was, seemed to get as good (if not better) battery life under Android as it did under NFSFan's WM ROM. This prompted me to wonder: if we actually nail power management, could Android have better battery life than WM? Or is it a more power-hungry OS in general?
Old 09-25-2010, 05:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2479; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectheintro
I've been curious about this for a while. Supposedly, WM6.5 had better power management and battery life than WM6.1. I wonder, is this the case with Android?

Generally, we can expect to get worse battery life with a ported OS than one built natively, at least during the opening phases of development. But I noticed on my wife's Sprint Touch that her device, underpowered as it was, seemed to get as good (if not better) battery life under Android as it did under NFSFan's WM ROM. This prompted me to wonder: if we actually nail power management, could Android have better battery life than WM? Or is it a more power-hungry OS in general?
I believe Android would be more efficient if it were a level playing field. With OCT, I get even better battery life than before. If we can get something similar working in Android, I could see Android outlasting standard WM without too much tweaking
Old 09-25-2010, 05:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

spectheintro is keeping up the good workspectheintro is keeping up the good work
Re: A power consumption question re: Android.

I certainly hope so. I really want to run Android and Android only, as I believe it to be a better OS all-round. I just wonder if the TP2, because of its heritage and hardware, would be fighting an uphill battle for battery life. If Android is more draining than WM, I may not realistically be able to use it as my primary. But if Android is a better power manager than WM, then the TP2 could potentially even last longer than it does now.
Old 09-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic, HTC TP2
Carrier: Sprint - SERO Premium

Viper786 is keeping up the good workViper786 is keeping up the good work

I downloaded this widget called Toggle Data. Or maybe it was called No Data. Basically it just disables data. I have my data disabled until I need to use it and this GREATLY increases battery life.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:54 AM
VIP Member

natemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPnatemcnutty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper786 View Post
I downloaded this widget called Toggle Data. Or maybe it was called No Data. Basically it just disables data. I have my data disabled until I need to use it and this GREATLY increases battery life.
The biggest thing to remember is that certain things such as wifi are always on if you enable them. At least with wifi, my battery heats up badly even if the screen is off and not in use. Supposedly, the screen doesn't entirely power down properly either, and I know they found it but not sure they have patched it yet.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Carrier: Verizon

butler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good workbutler360 is keeping up the good work

I've read about an app called JuiceDefender that turns data off automatically when not in use. Haven't tried it but it seems to get good reviews.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
The biggest thing to remember is that certain things such as wifi are always on if you enable them. At least with wifi, my battery heats up badly even if the screen is off and not in use. Supposedly, the screen doesn't entirely power down properly either, and I know they found it but not sure they have patched it yet.
Did you disable autodimming in windows mobile? because if you didn't, the screen will not fully power down. Mine fully powers down. Check the faq.

And if you download a wifi toggle widget, it is not always on.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:17 PM
VIP Member

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Windows Mobile; Opera Mini/5.1.21594/20.2479; U; en) Presto/2.5.25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper786
Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Did you disable autodimming in windows mobile? because if you didn't, the screen will not fully power down. Mine fully powers down. Check the faq.

And if you download a wifi toggle widget, it is not always on.
Yeah, don't even have wince on that phone atm... I just put a wifi toggle widget on the desktop to handle it, but it should be automatic.

Last edited by natemcnutty; 09-26-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker

If you have Wifi on, it will always stay on. Why should it be automatic? How should the phone now when you want Wifi on and when you want it off?
Old 09-26-2010, 05:23 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper786 View Post
If you have Wifi on, it will always stay on. Why should it be automatic? How should the phone now when you want Wifi on and when you want it off?
Well, I would think that if there is no data going on the wifi and the device is supposed to be in standby that it would turn the wifi off or at least put it into a sleep mode. Wince certainly does this, and if you want wifi enabled while the screen is off, you have to change registry setting.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2