PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

chopperguy918 is keeping up the good workchopperguy918 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to chopperguy918
Android AOSP 2.1 vs 2.1 w/ sense

I know this is a very dumb newbie question. I just loaded Android AOSP 2.1 on my Sprint TP2. I was wondering what is the difference between AOSP 2.1 and 2.1 w/Sense.

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D™

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff
Re: Android AOSP 2.1 vs 2.1 w/ sense

Sense has the Sense UI as it looks on the Hero and other devices that have that interface on Android.

AOSP is just strictly Android OS without the Sense look.

Sense 2.1 is also much slower from what people have said.

Phone: Sprint HTC EVO 3D
ROM: Synergy Nightly with Own Mods
"If you have the stereo on, why would you turn up the volume on the TV?" 'Cause I like to party
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

i dont think it will get faster until hw3d is figured out. I hit a road block with the 3d. Ive been trying to figure it out for 3 weeks now but no real results.

Maybe its time to recruit more developers. After mrpippy vanished the rhod development slowed down drastically.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Unknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuffUnknownforce knows their stuff

I want to learn ARM ASM, but it's highly confusing to me... terms like registers and pointers and stacks scare me, I had nightmares last night because of them lol...

Naw seriously though I am just having a hard time following through the code, Like I'm trying to look through the battery code and find the exact calculations so that I can get my battery fix to work better, but I just can't seems to figure out what means what... I get the whole R0-15 concept and what each line BASICALLY does, but I get lost in trying to find out where the code is "popping" and "pushing data to and from the stack... and where the exact calculations are happening... I have IDA Pro and I know a bit of x86 ASM, but ARM doesn't seem to fall into the same level...

I need like a guide for ARM ASM...
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

chopperguy918 is keeping up the good workchopperguy918 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownforce View Post
Sense has the Sense UI as it looks on the Hero and other devices that have that interface on Android.

AOSP is just strictly Android OS without the Sense look.

Sense 2.1 is also much slower from what people have said.
Thanks I really appreciate your input. I have been lurking in the winmo world for a bit now, but I thought I would try out some Android to see what its all about. Seems everything is pointing in that direction. Unless 7 gets going.

Either way I am getting my wife a Evo come June 4th.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: tp2

[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community[ACL] is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
I want to learn ARM ASM, but it's highly confusing to me... terms like registers and pointers and stacks scare me, I had nightmares last night because of them lol...

Naw seriously though I am just having a hard time following through the code, Like I'm trying to look through the battery code and find the exact calculations so that I can get my battery fix to work better, but I just can't seems to figure out what means what... I get the whole R0-15 concept and what each line BASICALLY does, but I get lost in trying to find out where the code is "popping" and "pushing data to and from the stack... and where the exact calculations are happening... I have IDA Pro and I know a bit of x86 ASM, but ARM doesn't seem to fall into the same level...

I need like a guide for ARM ASM...
Yeah .. there are just a few guys that i know who mastered that. Part of the problem we have is lack of knowledge of the hardware.

The way im approaching the 3d is backwards. I made a wince app to load up ahi2dati directly so i can see what part of the mem is being affected. Thats the easy part. I tried putting those addresses into the kernel code but no luck. So i'm almost thinking that it may not be memory related. ATI doesnt really have any documentation on this and they most likely wont help.

i want to get more devs involved. We are lacking manpower on the Rhod.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Unless you live in the MIDDLE of a huge city, I, personally, would recommend against the Evo. Simply because 4G coverage has been said time and time again to be patchy... And then there's the whole no physical keyboard... and that's a deal breaker for me, but everyone has their own preference.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

Quote:
Unless you live in the MIDDLE of a huge city, I, personally, would recommend against the Evo. Simply because 4G coverage has been said time and time again to be patchy... And then there's the whole no physical keyboard... and that's a deal breaker for me, but everyone has their own preference.
4G isn't finished being introduced yet, in time I'm sure the coverage issues will be attended to.. Take 3G for instance, theres certain areas that are still "patchy" with 3G service, so of course 4G isn't going to be stars and stripes just yet...

And the physical keyboard has always been the deal breaker for me, but at the convention in Feb I got to handle an EVO and dude lemme tell u, hands down no questions asked I'm getting it lol.. I think you have to handle it to appreciate it... All my PPC's have always had keyboards but times are changing and so am I

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Yea...I love the keyboard on my TP2, but my wife is still using a Touch Pro. She deserves a upgrade.

On your battery fix. Do I need the zimage and modules file? Do I just replace the files in the andriod folder or do they need to go in the storage card root folder????
Old 05-26-2010, 03:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

If you're going to wait till July 4 to upgrade, you might just wait for the HTC "Vision" to be announced and see if it's going to happen for sprint or not...

On the fix, I believe only the zImage is required. Because in testing for accuracy I simply replace that one file. The modules only get installed when it boots for the first time and there is no data.img file there.

And just replace them wherever your android install is and boots from.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2