PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [ ROM ][ v1.1 ] Calkulin's Stripped ROM for Android - 28MB :-)

New ROM coming up, DualBOOT, restored a couple more Windows "essentials" and a couple of other things.

Last edited by Calkulin; 03-12-2010 at 01:19 PM.
This post has been thanked 5 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800

sd_matto is a n00b

Liking that "Internet Sharing" icon.

Looking forward to putting your newest through its paces.

I cannot say this enough times: This ROM is FAST (and battery life is pretty impressive, too).

Calk - If I have a request for you to restore a couple of additional, basic (at least, to me) features to this ROM (to make it more consistent with my goal of dual boot ROCKIN' ROM), should I PM you with the request, or post it on this thread? Others may share my goal (not sure), but I don't want to get off topic either.

Thanks again, Calk, for a GREAT ROM.

Last edited by sd_matto; 03-12-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Calkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation levelCalkulin can't get a higher reputation level

Well I think this is as much as I'm going to put back in to it

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkulin View Post

Good enough for me...Thx
Old 03-12-2010, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Re: [ ROM ][ v1.2 ] Calkulin's Stripped ROM for Android - DualBOOT - 44MB :-)

New ROM is up on the first page....
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sd_matto is a n00b

Quote:

Wow, Calk. Did you read my mind on what my bare essentials were?

The screenshot looks great.

For the programs, it looks like you have covered all the bases (I would have preferred Opera Mobile to IE for the browser, but that's a small thing I can live with - Maybe the internet browser can be a CAB install?). I will also be adding Auto Call Recording, HTC WiFi Sharing and WModem, but those are personal preference items (having said that, if you could bake those into your ROM, yummy!).

In the settings, looks like you have also covered what I view as essentials. A couple of suggested modifications (again, if you could bake these into your ROM, much appreciated):
Personals Tab: Remove "Lock" (I never use that);
System Tab: Reinsert "Device Information" (I like to see it all in one place without going to EPST), "GSensor" + "Text Messaging" (these last two suggested only if your ROM does not already have the precalibration (for GSensor) or the threaded SMS (for TextMessaging) hard-programmed in), and TVOut (seldom used functionality, but I have the cable!!).
Connections Tab: Would be nice to have an upgradeable (via CAB?) Comm Manager (i.e., so I can have the HTC WiFi Sharing built into Comm Manager), but not essential. Otherwise, this tab is great.

It also looks from the screenshot that you moved away from the 6.1 core (that looks like a 6.5 file explorer screenshot, though maybe I am mistaken). Is that correct, or am I just mistaken?

Again, thanks for all the hard work in getting this done. This ROM of yours just ROCKS AS-IS, and please don't view what I write above as anything but personal-preference suggestions of mine. I LOVE WHAT YOU DO, CALK.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sd_matto is a n00b

Quote:
Here's a stripped 44MB ROM for those that want the best experience of Android, based on 6.5 and stripped of practically everything but the core Windows essential applications until Android is fully operational.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_matto View Post
Wow, Calk. Did you read my mind on what my bare essentials were?

The screenshot looks great.

It also looks from the screenshot that you moved away from the 6.1 core (that looks like a 6.5 file explorer screenshot, though maybe I am mistaken). Is that correct, or am I just mistaken?
I guess that my question got answered while I was writing my response.

Looks like it is a 6.5 base.

Any idea what is the memory/speed hit for going from 6.1 to 6.5? And, for those of us who prefer the simplicity of 6.1, any chance you can make the same tweaks you just made to your ROM, but on a 6.1 base?

Personally, I would love to test both for speed/memory differences.

Thanks again for all your great work.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

sd_matto is a n00b

I like this ROM. A LOT. The changes that were made were overall good.

Having said that, I offer the following personal observations/feedback for comment/consideration:

1. Speed - Very fast. Faster than any 6.5 ROM I have played with. Slower, though, than Calk's v.1 of this ROM (which was based on 6.1), though. (Difference in speed can be seen when opening folders, through start menu, for example).

2. Memory footprint - Very small for a 6.5 ROM. Having said that, probably due to both additional apps and bump up to 6.5, it is about 50% bigger than Calk's v.1 of this ROM.
EDIT: The "gwes.exe" file is HUGE (1.07MB) on this ROM; any reason why? (At least, it seems huge when I reflect back on my ROM cooking days of WM5 and WM6 ROMs for my former Titan).

3. Change from 6.1 to 6.5 - Not sure I like this; still getting used to it. I will provide more feedback after a while. Having said that, see items 1 and 2, above.

4. Start Menu - I am probably missing something easy here, but is there a way to reorganize the layout of the icons when I click on Start? I like what is there, but would just like the ability to reorganize. Probably showing my lack of WinMo 6.5 knowledge at this point.
EDIT: GREAT JOB on the spinning Android Icon (beats the spinning wheel of Windows anytime).

5. Changes to Settings - I like most changes that were made. I would like to see the free shortcuts under Settings folder (Bluetooth, Clocks/Alarms, Lock, Sounds & Notifications, Today) put into the existing subfolders (Connections, Personal, System), though. A personal preference (a la WinMo 6.1). Plus, it would be nice to add back in "Device Information" and "Power" setting items, as I use these items a bit (I would also like "TV Out" (I have the cable), but I can live without that).

6. Changes to Program - Again, I like most changes that were made. I LOVE the Task Manager used, and the fact that Camera and Camcorder and Pics/Video (instead of memory bloat HTC Album) functionality was restored. I would like to see Windows Media AND Internet Explorer removed ENTIRELY (i.e., for those of us who want to add via CAB TCPMP (Master Codec Pack 5 is recently out) and Mobile Opera, respectively); I don't know how much memory such a removal would make available (as an aside, I noticed in version 1 of this ROM that nonoperational shortcut and program for "iexplore" stayed behind in the Windows folder; a probably artifact). Also, for those of us (like me) who load up Android from the "/Andboot" folder of the storage card, I would prefer that GenYDualBoot (and the two Android shortcuts) be added as a CAB, rather than baked into the ROM, thereby permitting editing/changes to resulting config files and links.

Overall, this is a great 6.5-based ROM.

Having said that, I would like to test a 6.1 version of this v.2 ROM that has Calk's changes built-in (with my suggestions above incorporated as well - All Settings changes as-built-by-Calk-v2, plus Device Info and Power reinstalled and icons reorganized; All Program changes as-built-by-Calk-v2, plus Internet Explorer and Windows Media and YGen.DualBoot stripped out (permitting later add via CAB)). Feel free to PM me, Calk, if you are interested in making such a 6.1 based ROM, and are looking for a tester.

Thoughts/feedback appreciated.

And, yet again, thanks, Calk for a great ROM (my observations above notwithstanding, this ROM truly is a work of art).

Last edited by sd_matto; 03-12-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Additional memory footprint observation
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Exigent Circumstance
Pocket PC: LG - G2x // P999
Carrier: T-Mobile ™

info[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIPinfo[]box1 is a VIP

I love the 6.1 start menu... Or folders in 6.5 start menu...

Calkulin and thanks for burning in GenY DualBoot....
Old 03-13-2010, 01:20 AM
V.I.P
Pocket PC: 3VO for me, EVO for wife
Carrier: on the Now Network™ from Sprint®

00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP00_MACKIE_00 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by info[]box1 View Post
I love the 6.1 start menu... Or folders in 6.5 start menu...

Calkulin and thanks for burning in GenY DualBoot....
lol I had an answer for you but didn't see you online to fix that genY dualboot issue, had a cab file ready to send to you lol

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2