PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

slow4g63 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslow4g63 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslow4g63 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslow4g63 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularslow4g63 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Android/Linux for CDMA Touch Pro 2

my bad!! thought it was gsm!!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2
Carrier: Verizon

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

I'm unable to download the latest March 18th version while at work - but just wanted to ask if this is the Dual-Boot version I've been looking for? I am most interested in the Android project, having the Touch Pro 2, because the free Turn-by-Turn Navigation is HUGE for me, but when not using Google Maps or other cool Android Apps, I'd like to boot to my normal Windows Mobile OS (which is the latest version of MightyROM)

So...
- Is this the Dual-Boot thread?
- Since this is Android, would it open/activate the Turn-by-Turn Navigation offered by Droid/Nexus etc that run 1.6 or higher?
- Could I still keep my MightyROM intact as my primary mobile OS, or would I be forced to switch back to normal Windows Mobile 6.5 to take advantage of this?

THANKS!!
August 12th... Droid-2! Still undecided; but leaning toward purchasing, as a phone to "tide" me over (according to great advice from ckeegan) until truly remarkable devices are released from Verizon fully operation on 4G networks in 2012!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2

cflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIPcflynt is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC Touch-Pro View Post
Is this the Dual-Boot thread?
If you mean by dual-boot, can you run Windows Mobile and Android on the same phone. YES, currently Android on the TP2 is NOT a ROM yet, you boot into it by running Haret.

Quote:
Since this is Android, would it open/activate the Turn-by-Turn Navigation offered by Droid/Nexus etc that run 1.6 or higher?
I believe that turn-by-turn isn't avail till 2.1, but I might be wrong, really doesn't matter being GPS isn't functioning yet.
Quote:
Could I still keep my MightyROM intact as my primary mobile OS, or would I be forced to switch back to normal Windows Mobile 6.5 to take advantage of this?
As answered in the first question. This ISN'T a ROM, so whatever ROM you have in place already will still be there.

You probably need to do a little research before you start delving into Android. It is pretty much safe to run, it shouldn't interfere with your current OS, but you don't sound like you have looked into much at all with the questions you are asking. I don't want to steer you away from it, it is AWESEOME stuff. But you need to know what is working and what is not, and any Android thread out there plainly states that. If all you are after is the GPS stuff etc, you might check back at a later date.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Verizon TP2

HTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good workHTC Touch-Pro is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflynt View Post
If you mean by dual-boot, can you run Windows Mobile and Android on the same phone. YES, currently Android on the TP2 is NOT a ROM yet, you boot into it by running Haret.

I believe that turn-by-turn isn't avail till 2.1, but I might be wrong, really doesn't matter being GPSS isn't functioning yet.

As answered in the first question. This ISN'T a ROM, so whatever ROM you have in place already will still be there.

You probably need to do a little research before you start delving into Android. It is pretty much safe to run, it shouldn't interfere with your current OS, but you don't sound like you have looked into much at all with the questions you are asking. I don't want to steer you away from it, it is AWESOME stuff. But you need to know what is working and what is not, and any Android thread out there plainly states that. If all you are after is the GPS stuff etc, you might check back at a later date.
Good stuff thanks for your help! I did read through the working/not working thread before posting, and also researched over on Google.com (apps) and saw Turn-by-Turn was listed as functioning for 1.6+; but I wanted to ask here since I saw a build/offering from March 10th also hosted for download, and didn't know if GPS has been activated since then. I'm going to follow this thread and hope for the best - thanks again! I'm excited about the next few months if this gets off the ground more
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro 2

jeep447 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep447 View Post
Ok I hope I don't get roasted for this...I swear I have looked and cannot find the answer..I have heard from a good source that sprints 6.5 rom is being released tomorrow...If it does and I upgrade to it how will that effect android...should I not do it? Any help without throwing tomatoes at me would be great! lol thanks!
Man i guess it was a good source!!! The 6.5 update is avail at htc for sprint tp2 with sense ui enhancements! Snap downloading now!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: sprint

icevapor is just getting started

Hey, is the xandroid 3-18 just the 1.03. one but with the newest kernel? Was anything else changed?

I am testing the kernel Build: htc-msm-android@20100319_085354

It seem a little bit snappier than the previous, screen still works well. Even w/ out sound and everything else, I would probably use it full time if the scrolling were a bit less laggy, but I know that will speed up w/ time.

Great job to all the DEV's, its coming along quite nicely.

Last edited by icevapor; 03-19-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

yuyjust is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (tp2: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/17992; U; en))

Quote:
Originally Posted by icevapor
Hey, is the xandroid 3-18 just the 1.03. one but with the newest kernel? Was anything else changed?

I am testing the kernel Build: htc-msm-android@20100319_085354

It seem a little bit snappier than the previous, screen still works well. Even w/ out sound and everything else, I would probably use it full time if the scrolling were a bit less laggy, but I know that will speed up w/ time.

Great job to all the DEV's, its coming along quite nicely.
I am using this kernel also, everything stilk work well no more double tap still. Only little thing that I can see is the scrolling is not as fluid as other android device (almost like glass sliding door that hasnt been lubed for a while ) other than that everything is good. seem to be a bit snappier as well.

Hat off to all the dev working on this.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

animez is keeping up the good workanimez is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Man i guess it was a good source!!! The 6.5 update is avail at htc for sprint tp2 with sense ui enhancements! Snap downloading now!
They are saying on some sites that it has Sense 2.5, let us know when you get it loaded. Of course since I'm on VZW it does me no good, but still interested.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Htc Touch Pro 2

jeep447 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by animez View Post
They are saying on some sites that it has Sense 2.5, let us know when you get it loaded. Of course since I'm on VZW it does me no good, but still interested.
Will do...I guess everyone and their brother is downloading it...I have 60 megs down internet connection with a gigabyte switch and im only hitting at 15k...3 hours remaining
Old 03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touch pro 2
Carrier: metropcs

reekotubbs is just getting started

Quote:
Will do...I guess everyone and their brother is downloading it...I have 60 megs down internet connection with a gigabyte switch and im only hitting at 15k...3 hours remaining
Can you post a mirror when you get it down?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2 > Android On TP2

Tags
android linux tp2 cdma, eclair, touch pro2