PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Ciscoluv is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alert BEWARE: Fake Netflix App Stealing People’s Data – But What For...?

Alert BEWARE: Fake Netflix App Stealing People’s Data – But What For...?

The only thing to be careful about concerning a Netflix app is the FALES NETFLIX APP, CONTINUE TO READ....!

While it is one of the most popular apps on the Android platform, the Netflix app hasn’t been available for every device out there. It wasn’t until last month that Netflix expanded its support to all devices above Android 2.2 (Froyo), but the app is still having issues with many smartphones (even if “supported”).

People have resorted to downloading the .apk file and manually installing it on their devices. But this procedure may not be so safe anymore. Users trying to do this will need to be careful. There’s now a fake app out there (Trojan) that’s stealing people’s information. This application looks almost identical to the original Netflix app, but there is a way to tell the difference.

Upon opening the application, both Netflix apps will prompt the user to enter his/her username and password. This screen will look different; the fake one will not have any writing at the bottom, while the legit version will have links to sign up and to retrieve forgotten passwords.

If you enter your username and password, the information will be redirected to a central server. But it does seem this app is rather worthless, since hackers can’t really do much with the information collected. Critical information is not displayed, and credit card info only shows the last 4 digits of the card number. Unless these guys are planning to watch a lot of movies, there’s not much they can get out of this.

A more plausible danger could occur if the malignant parties tried to use your information to log into other services. Many users tend to use the same usernames and passwords for multiple sites. This could be a threat if your login details fall into the wrong hands.

The guys at CNET entertain the idea that this could very well be a test app. Hackers might be planning to get some fake bank apps out there and are testing the waters with Netflix, since it’s such a popular application.

We can’t think of any other reasons why hackers would want our Netflix credentials. Be careful downloading the Netflix application from sources other than the Android Market, though. Has anyone stumbled upon the fake version of the Netflix app? What do you guys think these hackers want with this information?

Via: Phandroid
Source: CNET

As you all know, I make Netflix apps with auto screen rotation, You may find my Netflix app around the Internet on several websites, but they do not steal anybodies personal data info …

My Netflix apps are legit and use my special Netflix HD icon, they are for viewing Netflix movies/TV episodes ONLY with 360 degree auto screen rotation for Android Smartphones and Tablets …

You can rest assured when you are using my Netflix auto screen rotation apps, that nothing illegal is going on in the background …
By the way, my latest Netflix app is version 1.7.0, released by Netflix several weeks ago … I customized it with built In auto 360 degree screen rotation for Android Smartphones and Tablets works like charm, it’s legit too … Get it here Netflix170-Rotation-Wizard.apk ….!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC One M8
Carrier: Verizon

Karl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIPKarl is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Karl Send a message via Yahoo to Karl Send a message via Skype™ to Karl
Re: Alert BEWARE: Fake Netflix App Stealing People’s Data – But What For...?

Thanks for the share

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."

Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

reaper24 knows their stuffreaper24 knows their stuffreaper24 knows their stuffreaper24 knows their stuffreaper24 knows their stuffreaper24 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Good find that's why I tend to not throw in apk files that I find around the net in my roms too keep folks from gettin in trouble I also am careful when it comes to keyloggers and all the other stuff...

If you like my work or the guides I make feel free to drop me a thanks.. Coffee also liked to lol.. Here to help.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

rubylane is a n00b

Whatever the purpose, it's not right to steal other people's information. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be more vigilant about installing apps now.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: The start menu can be modified by re into Windows
Carrier: Telecommunications

GinetteHuber is a n00b

I also am careful when it comes to keyloggers and all the other stuff...

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Apps & Games