Old 10-11-2007, 08:19 AM
WallaceLau
Lurker

WallaceLau is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdg View Post
@ all.. it appears my initial description of M.IP 2 being populated by the IOTA is no longer correct. PAM phones no longer use a separate M.IP for PAM authentication. Instead, the NAI of M.IP 1 is dynamically prefixed with 'pam' when tethering is detected...(M.IP 1 is essentially changed while the phone is tethered)....

Hunterdg,

This could be slightly off topic but I have a question on the phone automatically applying the PAM prefix: wouldn't that affect Datalink customers? For example, we normally set our M.IP(1) NAI to [ourInternalActiveDiretoryUserID]@[ourReam].dl.SprintPCS.com; so that the device will authenticate with our corporate AAA server. Sprint then knows how to route all the traffics into our VPN. However, if the phone automatically prefix M.IP(1)'s realm with "pam", in theory it will break our Datalink connection.

Now granted Sprint does not officially support the Mogul (or any PPC phone for that matter) under Datalink (at least not that I am aware of...), so it could be a moot point. Or maybe the software is smart enough that if the nai ends with "dl.SprintPCS.com" (dl = Datalink), then it skip the padding (which would be awesome... then we can all switch to PPC phone and saves hundreds of $$$ per month). However, as of right now the only way I can test it is to pull the MSL on the CEO's Mogul, and then modify his phone's profile... BUT - messing with (and potentially bricking) the CEO's brand spanking new phone is not a very good career move, at least I think.

Anyway, since you used to work for Sprint, do you have any thoughts?

Wallace

p.s. Currently the CEO is the only one in the company that has a Mogul; I travels internationally and have always preferred GSM phones.