View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM
storyr
VIP Member
Threadstarter

storyr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the communitystoryr is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
I use the 240X240 +130 theme.
Did you try the 124 (which was recently added to the theme download)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtesq View Post
I know nothing about making themes, so I'm curious as to why the moon phases won't work on clear themes. Can you give a brief explanation, just so I know what works and what doesn't, for when I have time to start making some themes?

Thanks.
OK, you asked for it so here goes:

Background
  • The Commuter-240 theme uses a concept that Doreen and I came up with: "Actual Moon Phase". She used the same concept in her "Vista Alive" theme.
  • Weather icons, numbered from 0 to 47, are a combination of day icons, night icons and "dual mode" icons - those that are used whether it's day or night (such as "cloudy").
  • Night icons are numbered 27, 29, 33, 45, 46, 47. These are the only icons where the moon should be visible in any way. In weather icon sets, they normally display a full moon.
  • In addition to the weather icons, are moon icons - which correspond to the moon phase, but are treated differently than weather icons.
How "Actual Moon Phase" concept works
  • The layout uses a background image, plus three layers of icons stacked on top of each other.
  • On the bottom is the background image. In the case of Commuter-240, a black field:
    Code:
    ;IMAGE
    dark_view_panel.png
  • Next is the moon phase icon (this is the "actual" moon phase):
    Code:
    ;IMAGE
    #MOON-LARGE#
  • On top of that is a "moon blocker" icon. The purpose of this layer is to only let the moon show through when it's a night icon. Basically, it's a repeat of the background image for each icon - except for icons 27, 29, 33, 45, 46, 47 (the night icons), which are transparent. This way, the moon phase will be visible at only the correct times. All other times, it's "blocked" by the repeat of the background image.
    Code:
    ;IMAGE
    #ICON-CUSTOM-MOONBLOCKERDARK#
  • Last is the actual weather icon itself - with a twist: The moon has been removed from all night icons. This way, if it's a night icon, the actual moon will be visible behind it.
    Code:
    ;IMAGE
    #ICON-CUSTOM-HUGE#
    0,-6
Even if none of that makes sense (I babble): The reason it won't work on a clear theme is the "moon-blocker" level. You can't block the moon phase on a clear theme - you would see the moon behind your icons all of the time...

Sorry for the lengthy response, but it's rare to find someone who actually apprectiated that feature in Commuter-240...