View Single Post
Old 10-06-2007, 11:24 AM
gobmonster
Halfway to VIP Status

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klurf8881 View Post
it seems like GAPI was meant for older PPCs though from how i understand it and doesnt really offer us anything new currently above directdraw or rawframe, i think it was before those standards were availible

EDIT** GAPI was pre-directdraw seen below from microsoft. I wouldnt use it over directdraw or the raw setting it doesnt support hardware acceleration and its an old technology for pre wm 5 devices

The Game API (GAPI) was an early, pre-Windows Mobile Version 5.0 library that allowed applications, primarily games, to display efficient and fast graphics on Windows Mobile. GAPI has for the most part been made obsolete by DirectDraw and Direct3D Mobile. The input portions of the GAPI interface remain in use. Although GAPI remains supported for legacy applications, it is depreciated and should not be used (with the exception of the input functions) in current games.

DirectDraw is superior to GAPI in these ways:

GAPI graphics does not take advantage of hardware acceleration, since it writes directly to the frame buffer. DirectDraw supports hardware acceleration.

GAPI graphics does not support different screen resolutions, and DirectDraw does. This saves you from having to support all resolutions in your own code, and future-proofs your program, allowing it to run at resolutions that may be added in the future.
Doesnt really speak for the moguls terrible direct draw driver, im going to download tcpmp .81, does it replace the .72 version?