View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 02:30 PM
DigitalAttic
Regular 'Geeker

DigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on repDigitalAttic is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to DigitalAttic Send a message via MSN to DigitalAttic Send a message via Skype™ to DigitalAttic
Exclamation Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAttic View Post
So after being continuously frustrated w/memory consumption of gwes.exe, I did some "cloud" research; aka, Google, and found some interesting info on how gwes can be configured. I can't say I have seen any immediate results, but as these do vary, give it a shot if you want.

What I did see immediate results from was reducing the size/depth of my start menu interface. I tend to use nested folders for navigation, and have many icons duplicated in various folders: eliminating the dups and some of the nesting drastically reduced my gwes memory use, navigation ease not withstanding. Using "fancy" icons also causes gwes to eat memory, so lean low on them if you want to save it. After making changes soft reset to see gwes.exe memory use reduction.

I'm going to see if using SPB MS3 is more memory efficient for main navigation.

Also, I observed Titanium panels do not effect gwes memory use, so perhaps using Titanium will be the better/future of navigation, which eludes to why M$ didn't make the start menu config. options a top priority.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

GWES- Graphics, Windowing and Events Subsystem.

There is a registry setting in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GWE] by the name of PORepaint. This setting determines how gwes handles the display.

By default it is set to 0- The display driver handles all suspend and resume operations.

Here is the possible setting quoted from M$:

ValueDescription
0- The display driver handles all suspend and resume operations.
1- GWE should save and restore the entire screen.
2- GWE should invalidate and repaint the entire screen.
3- GWE and the driver need to save video memory.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I'm now using File Explorer as a Menu Interface. Basically, I've trimmed my Start menu\Programs to a select few "always use" shortcuts. I then moved the remaining main Programs folder structure to my SD card\My Documents\Program Menu folder. I created a linked alias with File Explorer to this folder (using SKKV Shortcut Manager), set options for icon display and no links display in MSE, and viola... a menu system that's alphabetic, much easier to manage, and best of all... drastically cuts gwes.exe memory consumption! I really like this system a lot, and until M$ figures out how to have gwes.exe better manage memory, will never use the start menu for more than a few programs again. If you're looking for a very cool and memory efficient alternative to the PITA system in WM65, then give this a try, you may wonder why it isn't done this way by default.
-----------------------------

If my post helps you, please hit the "Thanks" button... it's free and I need the rep!
This post has been thanked 1 times.