Thread: Skype 3 Beta
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Mutiny32
Halfway to VIP Status

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32
Re: Skype 3 Beta

It sucks, I'm berating them currently on their message boards on why they haven't released an updated builds in moths for a PUBLIC BETA and also questioning them as to exactly why it's a 16MB install. Fring does Skype, SIP, XMPP/Google Talk, AIM, MSN, and others; they've at least claimed support for earpiece routing for the Diamond and Pro (which is spotty, but hey at least they're trying). The best part is, its a MUCH smaller install and has a much smaller memory footprint than Skype.

On the other hand, I won't stop giving Skype devs crap until they stop neglecting 64-bit, Linux, and aren't owned by eBay anymore. That company ruined them when they made the purchase. Hopefully the founders in Estonia can get enough capital together to buy the company back and make things like they were when Skype was young.

I gotta give it to them though; they finally got it through their thick skulls that enabling true third-party support, not an API that requires Skype to be installed as well, was better for their business model. Or maybe that was just because they got caught with their pants down with Apple by removing voice support over 3G on the iPhone.

Last edited by Mutiny32; 05-20-2009 at 04:24 PM.