View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
haus
Halfway to VIP Status

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Verizon DOES CHARGE WIFI USAGE!

Verizon's long-standing requirement for data plans with Pocket PC phones has nothing to do with WiFi. You're not being charged for using Wifi, you're being charged for having a data-capable phone. I'm sorry that you had to learn this in a bad way. It is possible that had you bought a replacement phone outside the system (Ebay, craigslist, etc.) and activated it online, you might have slipped by without a plan change, but Verizon's system might now be smart enough to see that even an online activation of a PPC phone without a data plan is not allowed.

I'll grant that if they *could*, Verizon would charge customers for using Wifi, but they can't track such usage. I try to maintain the distinction because there have been confused customers on other less-technical sites who have been duped by Verizon reps into thinking that they would pay per-KB charges for Wifi usage, which is simply not true.

Since cost is a major factor for you, Sprint might be a better choice, assuming you can maintain coverage. Another option is to deactivate your TP, carry a cheap flip phone with a voice plan, and just use the TP as an offline device with Wifi. There's no harm in that.

And (seriously) you may find out that Verizon sometimes allows devices to remain on the network and use a data connection. When I turn on my Verizon 6700, it still connects to the data network as if I'm a paid subscriber. I've been with Sprint for over a year now. Not that I would bank on the long-term availability of that; I just think it's kind of funny.
This post has been thanked 1 times.