View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 03:14 PM
AceXMachine
PPCGeeks Regular

AceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuffAceXMachine knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint TP on Verizon UPDATE! (NO LONGER WORKING)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 View Post
So Alltel touch pro's can be activated without a problem on their network. Has anyone recently confirmed this? I know about the merger and everything but the Alltel touch pro is a lot better than the verizon touch pro
While it definately makes sense to get an Alltel Touch Pro because of the merger, at present, even Alltel phones are still not loaded into the VZW DMD (I know, because I have one and had to get it added). This however may change in the future as the merging process is completed and the 2 networks are actually merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko10 View Post
I've had my TP on VZW since November now. It shows up as Unknown Phone or whatever in my VZW online page.

I did get a call about a month ago from VZW. The guy said I was using data on my phone and my plan had no data component (it has, it always has since I got my Apache in 2005).

I just said Yes, I have the $29.99 email and web plan for smartphones.

He said Oh. What phone are you using? I just said HTC Touch Pro, nothing about Sprint.

He said Oh, ok, yes I see that feature now, everything seems to be in order, bye. And hung up.

So it did throw up some kind of flag, but it appears it was only related to using data. I only used about 80MB for that month, so it wasn't a usage flag either.

So far, everything still seems to be ok.
Yea, he called you because he could see you were using a pda type connection/aaa profile but without a known pda. It was flagged because of the type of usage on an unknown device (system assumed it was a regular phone). The problem I see happening (and the reason I believe they closed the *228 option 3 hole) is this; The DMD tells the billing system what features are compatible/required for a phone. the Generic/Unknown profile just allows everything so it will activate. If you had a regular dumbphone and used *228 option 3 to activate a pda, your pda would in effect be activated with the same features as your dumbphone since it doesn't really know what device you have. This will cause billing issues and therefore was plugged to prevent them. Just my take on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knife View Post
I'm a bit confused here... but I wanted to clarify this incase sometime in the future I need to switch phones quick.

I have a Sprint TP on the VzW network. For two months or so it was a generic phone on the account web page. I called and placed a service ticket for this stating that the device came from the IT guy in my company who got it from HTC.

A couple weeks later the proper picture shows in the account web page, so I assume that the ESN was added to the VzW database.

Does this also mean that the MEID was added? Do I even need to worry about this?

Sometimes when I travel (mainly boating / diving vacations) I activate some junk phone like the razor incase I drop it in the water and don't want to deal with the claim process.

If the web site shows the proper device, would my Sprint TP activate properly (naturally since I have a Sprint PRI it should show roaming until I activate the latest modified PRL)?

Also ... please do NOT respond to this if you don't know the answer with 100% confidence.

Thanks.
Will 99% confidence suffice? hehe If the picture is showing up then yes, it should be in the DMD (the picture is of a VZW touch pro right?). Check your PMs
This post has been thanked 2 times.