View Single Post
Old 04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Tplane37
PPCGeeks Regular

Tplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuffTplane37 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Tplane37 Send a message via MSN to Tplane37 Send a message via Yahoo to Tplane37
Exclamation Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

ATTENTION!!!!

Anyone who directly downloaded 21500 from xBeta.

As many of you know, I contracted a nasty series of virus's here lately. I had it narrowed down to last Sunday. In the mail this morning I received an urgent letter from my internet service provider stating that I had downloaded a virus through their network. This letter listed the IP and MAC addresses of the 3 machines on my network that were infected. It also stated the file that was downloaded that I received the virus's with.

If you downloaded 21500 directly from the Chinese link, I would HIGHLY advise a virus and Malware scan on your PC (And all PC's on your network.)

It took two programs to remove the virus's from two of my PC's, and a low level format on the third to get rid of this thing.

I used the Avast! Home Edition (Free) and Windows Live OneCare (Free Trial). I had Norton's Anti Virus installed, and it got through it.

Prior to your scans, do the following:

In all of your internet Browsers, clear all personal data INCLUDING OFFLINE CONTENT (internet, cookies, history, etc.). Then open your Run Command from the start menu, type in "%temp%" without the quotes. Select all but the <WCES*.log> entries (these are for ActiveSynce, and <WCESLog.log> will not delete), Delete all. If any of the selected items are not able to be deleted, reboot in safe mode, run %temp% again, and delete them there.

Once you are done there, change the default settings in avast to "Thourough" and scan (boot time scan, will reboot your machine and scan before Windows starts)...delete any virus's that come up. Uninstall Avast!, install OneCare, scan again (each got rid of different virus's). I then uninstalled OneCare when it was done, and now have avast! running constantly....Norton's went bye bye.

This was from my personal experience, your's may or may not be different. I am posting this for informational purposes, I am only able to go off of the information that has been provided to me, and this is not intended to create a panic, just to advise my fellow developers and testers.

This post has been thanked 5 times.