View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Roger Strong
Lurker

Roger Strong is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
WiFi is working for me on my WPA-PSK [TKIP] network.

First, I go to Settings/Connections/Connections/Advanced/Select Networks. This pulls up the "Network Management" screen. In the drop-down list for "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using:", I select "My Work Network" - as opposed to my carrier's cell network.

When I connect to the WiFi network, on the "Configure Wireless Network" screen, I set "Connects to:" to "The Internet".

(Presumably to connect to machines on my private network, in the "Network Management" screen I'd leave the drop-down list for "Programs that automatically connect to a private network should connect using:" set to "My Work Network". When I connect to the WiFi network, on the "Configure Wireless Network" screen, I'd set "Connects to:" to "Work". I had this working in WM5, but didn't make notes.)

This is all pretty much as it was in WM5. It's a pain in that to switch between WiFi and Cellular internet browsing, I have to keep changing that for "Programs that automatically connect to the Internet should connect using:" dropdown.

WHEN I CONNECT, or if I switch the phone off for a moment or not use the connection for a few minutes, I have to renew the IP address. (Even though on the Wireless LAN screen I'm still listed as "connected".) I go to the Advanced tab and hit "Renew IP", and I can communicate again.

Again, this is as it was in WM5. Perhaps it our NetGear router; my wife's laptop has a similar issue and solution when connecting. I'm no WiFi expert.