Old 09-03-2007, 12:13 PM
brightedge
Regular 'Geeker

brightedge is keeping up the good workbrightedge is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkillen View Post
I don't want to sound like a party-pooper but is this entirely legit? Isn't someone giving away a new OS that oridnarily would have to be paid for? Does MS permit this to be distributed for free?

How is this different from me distributing a copy of Vista to all those who are presently runnning XP?
I'm no expert, but this certainly seems like a gray area type thing. Microsoft has given away WM6 licenses for free to all vendors, HTC included. HTC/UtStarcom/Sprint have not ported WM6 to the 6700 yet (if ever.) People have taken this into their own hands and worked to get WM6 on to the 6700. Is it 100% legal? I'm not sure. Is WM6 being hosted on a PPCGeeks site? Nope. So I guess it all comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable running an operating system that hasn't been officially released for your phone.

Downloading a pirated copy of Vista is certainly illegal. M$ hasn't given it away to Dell, so loading a pirated copy onto a Dimension desktop seems quite different than loading WM6 onto a 6700.

Any other thoughts?
And in the kitchen, bind them.