GRB
PPCGeeks Regular

GRB is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: For those with battery issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanstein View Post
I fly electric powered rc helis, and I can tell you that magnets and li poly batteries have no effect on each other, unless harnessed through a motor, then the EMF causes things to spin.

Generally the motors on these helis have very strong permanent magnets and they are usually located very near the main battery pack. Of the thousands of pro heli guys I have talked to, nevfer have any of themalluded to any kind of interaction between magnets and battery life.

So, I hate to say it but the rep was full of BS.

As for quality control issues, there are so so li po batteries, there are excellent batteries, and there are crap batteries. Guess which ones cost less? Guess which ones HTC probably buys in bulk? On my Apache and Titan, I scabbed in a decent battery from the RC store, where they are expensive but have astronomical current carrying abilities (not so important on a phone, but usually means higher quality battery) and the batteries on them would last nearly twice as long as the stock was ever even designed to.

On our Touch pros, the batteries get hot, which is not good for the life span of a lithium based battery. They get hot since they are probably the cheapest thing HTC could find and have terrible internal resistance, which causes heat when charged or discharged. I imagine these batteries are only rated at about 5C (C being a discharge amount equal to the mAh capacity of the battery. A 1500mAh battery would have a 1c discharge rate of 1.5A) Now days 30-40 C rating is a decent li battery. Higher ratings mean higher quality, longer lasting and less heat.
Are there any of these higher rated batteries available for the TP? If so, could you point me the right direction?