View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
jrimmer
PPCGeeks Regular

jrimmer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: [March 25th, 2009] "One Rom To Rule Them All..." MIGHTYROM 4.8 [20771] [UC] [24MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgiroux View Post
Alright so before flashing to 4.8 I'm gonna definitly do this the safest way. i.e. Flashing to stock, then flashing to mighty then hardreset. Now just a few questions...

What's the purpose of flashing to stock first?

What's the point of doing a hardreset after your flash? Isnt a flash sorta like a hard-reset?

EDIT: Do I flash to the stock rom in this post? http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...us+rom+diamond the Stock Telus Rom? Or will that brick my phone, I have that hardspl thing installed, just double checking cause I'm still fairly new and cant afford to buy a second diamond!

-Thanks!! Matt
I've asked this question before with no real straight answer... but hes what I can gather. Apparently when you flash there can be reminents of previous roms still kicking around. I think it has to do more from a cook's perspective. If everyone goes to stock or shipped rom they know that there is no side effect from previous roms. Cooks/programmers are a sensitive bunch i have 6 that work form me, but i make sense to only support everyone from the same starting point.

The hard reset I think is part of the same issue - residual files lurking somewhere in memory or something. I've also been told its two hard resets btw, its a little bit of bs I think but then again im no expert.

Point of interest tho...I've never done it and i get fairly predictable results, by which i mean that i usually get the same errors as everyone else. Keep in mind that the other cabs you install may not work properly.

In any i was nervous as heck when i did my first flash, just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter and you'll be ok..
This post has been thanked 1 times.