Bearxor
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budney
Too bad about the modem chip, but I knew it was too good to be true. Also I have read that the Treo's antenna dose have a tendency to loosen and/or fall out. That screw by the antenna must loosen easy, causing the problem.
The single screw that is covered by the rubber piece is the only thing holding the antenna in. If your antenna is loose and shifts around, you could very likely retighten that screw to fix your problem.

One thing that I thought about after shooting these pictures is that (at the risk of starting another rumor) the CDMA chipset seems contained completely to the add-in card, much like the 2032SP was basically just a CDMA compact flash card soldered onto a PCB and insereted in to what was (at one point) the Toshiba PDA's compact flash slot. Same for the G1000.

This is different than the 6600 and the 6700, in which the CDMA chipset is placed directly on the main PCB.

So I would say that THEORETICALLY a new CDMA daughter card could be deveoloped to upgrade the 700w or 700wx with a RevA compatible chip. The could always resell it as the Treo 710w or something.

This is extremely unlikely to happen but does seem to be technically possible.