View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 09:09 AM
tsowen
Retired Staff

tsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation leveltsowen can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to tsowen Send a message via MSN to tsowen Send a message via Skype™ to tsowen
Re: 6.5 Cease and Desist

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumaun View Post
DMLA? Do you mean DMCA? [Digital Millennium Copyright Act]

Thats not a group, its a pathetic 'document' that can be used to take down copyrighted material for pretty much any reason.

After the Patriot Act, its the most revolting part of the US legal system.
Yes it is a document but it also helps protect sites as well. Had they read through the DMCA they would have seen that for a Take Down notice it has to have a Digital Signature or the Document be signed, not just a Respectfully, Yours Truly, With Regards etc., or whatever James Young typed, also it list what the document must say and show in order to be legit and hold up within the legal system. The document serves its purpose. This was the biggest reason that after reading the document it just didn't sit good with me because I knew after looking at it, it was not valid and caused me to contact Microsoft to verify my suspicion. It took them all of 1 minute while on the phone with me to verify the letter was fake after reading it over at XDA. Biggest lesson learned IMO is to just research these types of things and to contact or go direct with the complaining cooperation to verify it. Like Microsoft said and which makes sense they would also provide a phone number so you can further discuss the issue with them and not just correspond through email.

Last edited by tsowen; 03-20-2009 at 09:17 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.