View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
jimazing
Lurker

jimazing is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
File Timestamp Mismatch

I'm having a strange problem with my Verizon XV6900 and Vista Sync Center that is causing file syncs to be inconsistent. I am wondering if it is a setting that I can change or if it is a problem everyone is having.

Could someone please confirm the following simple steps?
  1. Create a file on your Vista PC. Make a note of the modified timestamp (= current time).
  2. Copy the file using explorer. Browse to the device and paste the file. Notice the timestamp on the device using explorer.
  3. Open explorer on the device. Note the timestamp. On mine, it is 4 hours earlier than it shows on the PC
  4. Create a file on the device. Note the timestamp using the device (current time)
  5. Browse to the file using the PC and not the timestamp. Mine is 4 hours into the future!
  6. Copy the file to the PC using explorer. The timestamp on the PC is 4 hours into the future!
Interestingly, since I am in Eastern Time Zone and we are on DST, Universal time is 4 hours ahead of local time. Even though both my PC and my phone are set for Eastern Time, the PC does not get the right timestamp on the files from the device.

It is as if the device stores the files based on UT and then translates the time. The PC doesn't know that, and deals with the "raw" timestamp without translating it into local time.

This means that files on my PC show up as being way earlier than the same file on the device even though it is really newer. Sync Center compares them and overwrites the PC file from the device! ARGH!!!!

Thanks in advance for any help with this.