View Single Post
Old 03-06-2009, 09:45 PM
jtrag
Regular 'Geeker

jtrag is keeping up the good workjtrag is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to jtrag Send a message via MSN to jtrag Send a message via Yahoo to jtrag Send a message via Skype™ to jtrag
Re: WM 6.5 Kitchen QVGA and VGA Developer Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestiq View Post
sorry for being a noob here... but can somebody explain or point me to definitions of these terms that you guys use?

No idea what a SYS, XIP, ROM, etc.. is? I've used BuildOS before to flash a custom rom onto my old HTC Apache.. but pretty much just used the options available in BuildOs. I have the Touch Pro now and I want to get this 6.5 beta rom onto it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The SYS is pretty much the Operating system files and such, and the XIP is the core files of the operating system. By porting an XIP from a newer device, we can put newer versions of windows mobile on our devices that we normally would not be able to do with the Stock/Manufacturers/Carriers ROMs.

And last but not least, the ROM is the entire finished product that is flashed to the ROM of your device and runs as the operating system that you custom built by changing the XIP and the SYS files from a newer ROM and adding/removing other things from the SYS folder as you wish.

This is a very basic and simple explaination, but if you still need a better explaination, just send me a PM or reply to this post and I'll write it better when I feel a little better. Right now I'm a bit tired and in pain due to a recent car accident.