View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 03:45 PM
jhutchings
N00b

jhutchings is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: | February 25th, 2009 | . | M i g h t y R O M 4.12 | . | 20765-UC | . | 24 MB - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopydawg View Post
Mike, you've outdone yourself on 4.12. This thing is beyond awesome.

I upgraded to 4.12 (32MB pagepool) this morning, having been on 4.9.3 (32MB pagepool) since 6th February. Here's my specs:

* Device: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
* Carrier: Verizon Wireless
* Radio: Sprint 1.03.03V (stock)
* ROM Page Pool: 32MB
* Added CAB's: Arcsoft MMS, HTC GPS Tool, BeeJive, VsBenchmark 2007
* ActiveSync: Direct Push, Exchange 2003 SP2 (via SSL), Windows Server 2003 SP2

Here's what I've come up with in upgrading 4.9.3 to 4.12 so far...

TESTS (all succeeded)

* Phone (send and receive)
* ##DIAG#, ##PRL#, ##PST#
* Long Press End Key (set to Terminate Data Connection)
* SMS (send and receive)
* MMS (send and receive)
* Voicemail notification
* Data (carrier)
* WiFi
* Direct Push (both before and after phone calls, over both carrier data and WiFi)
* Media (jpg, mp3, mp4)
* GPS (Google Maps)
* Alarm
* Camera (both photo and video)
* Uploader: Facebook (both carrier data and WiFi)
* Uploader: YouTube (only carrier data; had failures with WiFi, shaky connection?)

IMPROVEMENTS

* Speed: The whole system immediately feels wayyyyyy faster and smoother than 4.9.3, even right after a soft reset (where 4.9.3 dragged a$$ for a few minutes). In TF3D, the People, Photos and Videos, and Music tabs render much more quickly, particularly the People tab. Call History opens instantly. Orientation switching (portrait to landscape and back) on photos and Opera is BLAZING!!! Although not particularly scientific, Virtual Spaghetti Benchmark 2007 with my setup averaged about 2410 on 4.9.3, increasing to 2470 on 4.12 (2.5% increase, but the system *feels* more along the lines of 20% or more). Did I mention awesome?

* Memory Footprint: After a soft reset, it seems that 4.12 uses less RAM than 4.9.3 with my config. On 4.9.3, I had 74.14MB in use, whereas with 4.12 I have 69.46MB in use (about a 4.7MB improvement). After using a slew of programs, though, both ROM's registered about the same usage. Still, I'd say this is good news especially for VZW Touch Pro users.

* TF3D People Tab: Although the pictures are smaller, I definitely like having the new option to email or text directly from this tab, rather than only call. And again, it's MUCH faster on 4.12!

* Pocket Outlook: Some have complained about the loss of our ability to multi-select emails in the Inbox via dragging, but I actually prefer its absence. When scrolling, it would often multi-select instead, which got kind of annoying. Still, though, it would be nice to have at least a registry value to switch it on, for those who prefer it.

* Calculator (TP2): LIKE!

* SmartPhoneTracker: Haven't played with it yet, but it seems like a neat idea.

ISSUES

* Flip Clock: I set the time to 24-hour clock ("military time") in regional settings; it takes affect in the taskbar clock, but the leading zero (before noon) doesn't appear in the flip clock, whereas in 4.9.3 it did. Afternoon times (13:00, 14:00, etc.) do work, however. This is purely cosmetic, so it's not a big deal.

* Opera, Soft Keyboard: When tabbing between input fields with the hardware keyboard slid open, the software keyboard now pops up for each field. In 4.9.3, once the hardware keyboard was open, the soft keyboard no longer appeared for that page.

* Device Temperature: When running Vs Benchmark, the device got significantly warmer than it did when I ran it several times yesterday on 4.9.3. I'll test again after a couple of recharges and let everyone know if this changes.

All I really have left to test for my usage is battery life. Although the device temperature increase might be a little unnerving, my Battery Monitor still reflects an idling (phone only, no apps open) Discharge Current of 57mA in both Auto and Full Brightness, and 13mA when the screen is off. This is the same as in 4.9.3, with which I had some charge left over after a full day (7am to midnight) of moderate usage with Direct Push (enabled for 12 hours); without Direct Push, I was getting over 2 full days of moderate usage per charge on 4.9.3, as well. I have my hopes up.

Note that a lot of issues others are reporting seem to be related to cabs they're installing (UI customizations, apps, etc.). I'm pretty much using the stock MightyROM, with just the Arcsoft and a couple of other cabs installed. In this configuration, Mighty ROM 4.12 is clearly a winner.

If anyone's on the fence about switching to this ROM, get off it... DO IT NOW!!!
I agree 100 percent with your post. I have been running 4.12 since early this morning and I am extremely happy with it, activesync is certainly fixed. I also only run Mike's stock rom with any cosmetic modifications. I find that I have a very smooth running rom. Unless Mike comes up with something major as far as improvements I am going to run with this for awhile