PPCGeeks Regular

cruiser78 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychef View Post
str8 from your TOS http://www.telusmobility.com/about/m...t_policy.shtml

5.Use of the serviceYou will use the service in compliance with law and with service rules adopted by TELUS from time to time, including safe driving and health and safety guidelines. You will use the service for customary voice, messaging and wireless Internet data purposes only. You will not use the service for: multi-media streaming; voice over Internet protocol; or any other application which uses excessive network capacity or may otherwise adversely impact other users, that is not made available to you by TELUS. You will not resell the service to any other person. You will not abuse any flat rate or unlimited use service plan offered by TELUS. You will not use the service to operate an e-mail, web, news or other similar service

Its was all there in black and white man..
After reading the Telus TOS, I would have to say that it doesn't say anything at all about tethering specifically. It says that you will not use bandwidth intensive applications that Telus DOES NOT provide. (For example, Sling-box streaming - on the phone, torrent downloading - on PC or laptop.) It says that one of the only acceptable uses is for wireless internet data. To me, tethering to your laptop and useing the internet WIRELESSLY to download webpage DATA is perfectly fine when you go by what is said in the TOS.... AS LONG AS you don't use bandwidth intensive programs which surfing websites shouldn't be classified as since when you use Opera on your phone (which is included from stock) you can download the desktop version so therefore you would use the same amount of bandwidth downloading the same webpage on your phone or while tethered to your laptop. And, since bandwidth is mentioned in the TOS, it does matter whether or not he is using a lot or a little of it.

On another note, I don't think chef is going to stop going on about this until everybody else stops replying. Stirring the pot anyone? He'll probably turn my argument into one for his side as well.

I do tether with my TP to my laptop once in a while and realize that it's in violation of the TOS as well. One thing I found real strange is that I have changed a server in the ##778# settings and over Christmas at my mom's, I know that I downloaded over 500 MB and on my bill, it showed up as 13 or 14 MB. My usage/month since then hasn't gone above 10 MB and I know for a fact that I've used more that just with data on my phone.