View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 06:05 AM
kennyidaho
PPCGeeks Regular

kennyidaho is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Warez Vs. Tethering

When you download a ROM for your phone you are downloading a copy of the operating system (distribution). A lot of times a different build then the one that came on your phone. Is it legal? I don't know is it legal to download a copy of Windows XP if you already have a legit key? Does the licensee I have to use Windows Mobile on this phone include all builds and versions of windows mobile or just the one included with my phone? Who knows but I imagine the axe would fall on the side of this type of activity is illegal. (Thankfully Microsoft & HTC seem to turn a blind eye to it for the most part which is good for them in a way)

Unlocking - I am not talking about GSM unlocking. I am talking about boot loader unlocking. To load said custom rom onto the phone you need a hacked boot loader. Why? Because the boot loader included with the phone is desgined in away to prevent any unauthorized ROMS to be loaded. So is that is another gray area.

The touch HD UI issue or foot prints or anything else. Well see HTC designed that software for that particular phone. It's part of their business model. Make phone - add cool software - people buy new phone to get new features. So yes you can look at it as a paid upgrade. If they wanted you to have it they would have made a version for your phone which you could download from their site. They didn't now did they?

Sprint is aware of the ICS hack. They have to be. We know they look at this site...fools post about it on BAW forums. If they wanted to do something about it they would have already. They would have sent cease and desist orders; like palm did regarding its threaded text messagine software. They apparently do not seem to care to much. So why worry.

The way I look at it if your going to ***** and moan about ICS then you better start talking about all the other stuff (ROMS,BOOTLOADERS, ETC). My best advice for you is frankly just to shut up. When you get your law degree and still feel like ridding the world of all evils like ICS then you'll have the appropriate resources at that time - then you can go on with your crusade.