View Single Post
Old 02-21-2009, 12:57 AM
pixelpop
Regular 'Geeker

pixelpop knows their stuffpixelpop knows their stuffpixelpop knows their stuffpixelpop knows their stuffpixelpop knows their stuffpixelpop knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: | February 19th, 2009 | . | M i g h t y R O M 4.5 | . | 20764-UC | . | 24MB PP |

Maybe a little behind the curtains at Skyfire. I manage the website for a small company that is updated maybe every 3-4 months. I installed the latest version of Skyfire and called up our home page. The home page displayed was a version that has not been available for at least a year and, in fact, is no longer on the server. So here is what I think Skyfire is doing--I think they cache the www (like google does), updates their cache based on the number of hits that a website gets, and when you enter a URL you are getting it from their cache, not the actual web site. By using cache, they can probably do some optimization on the display, crank up the display speed, etc. And by updating their cache based on the web site's hits, their fetch overhead is way, WAY less than a place like google.

All of this is only supposition, but I can't envision another scenario where they would display a web page that was at least a year old, not even on the server any more, and is not displayed by Opera or PIE (both of which display the correct, current page).

Last edited by pixelpop; 02-21-2009 at 01:00 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.