View Single Post
Old 02-17-2009, 05:58 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: **The Touch Pro Video Playback Bible**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Omni View Post
Just curious guys, being a bit of a video freak on the ppc6700, how do the Touch/Qualcomm processors handle WMV files?

As some of you know the older ARM/Win Mobile devices never handled MP4 that well and suffered even on high bit rate divx/xvid, but they could do WMV great.

Omni
Yes, I recall that years ago (WM2003 days) I used to encode everything to wmv and play with WMP, since it was one of the only ways to get a decent video display back then. But its strange that you say you're doing that with a 6700... an Xscale CPU of at least 400mhz, WM5, and TCPMP should be more than enough for decent DivX video. I switched entirely to DivX when I got my HTC Tornado, and that was only 200Mhz!
Honestly, nowadays I don't even touch WMV. I don't even have any lying around to test with since the format is practically obsolete in my opinion.

On your 6700, test a 350kbps Divx encoded vid side by side with a 350kpbs WMV. You'll see the DivX delivers sharper and higher quality video at the same frame than Windows Media 9 encoding does. But anyway, this is waaay off topic. I've never encountered anything that would imply the Qualcomm chips wouldn't play wmv just as well if not better than the Xscales of yesteryear.
This post has been thanked 1 times.