Old 07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
JimBrady
Lurker

JimBrady is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesus
I think they are using the term radar correctly, as I think they mean the phone is the 'radar' device that can find things in close proximity to the user.

That being said, I noticed that you need to download certain maps (like a GPS device I guess -- not sure since I don't one one) and you need to sync the device. It also takes up a large amount of space (~10 MB, but that might depend on the maps you download).

I'm wondering what value add this has over something like LiveSearch or Google Maps. I think this is tailored to the GPS device crowd, as I find it a little clunky to use and the graphics are not as smooth as LS or GM.
Guys, I'm glad you gave Earthcomber a try, and recognize that with all the platforms we have had, and versions for them, it can get confusing.

So, easy stuff first: If you have mobile web access on anything PPC, phone, Palm, etc., the fastest, easiest way to use Earthcomber is to hit mobile-DOT-earthcomber-DOT-com-SLASH-phone on your handheld. Set your location (we have 6 ways to do it, if you don't have GPS, and 4 of those give you GPS precision.) Then, just go to "Find Stuff" and I think you'll find why the other blogger thought Earthcomber was a better local search than Google for local things & places.

OK, the points I want to clarify:
1. Earthcomber is FREE. All channels, categories, whatever you want to call them. We're not to be confused with services that let you try it free for 30 days. We don't shove ads in anybody's face. The only thing you can spend money on, is if you buy another third-party guide that plugs into Earthcomber (Moon Metro, Where to Wear, etc.)

2. We're not like AvantGo. AvantGo, a great mobile app, essentially clips the web and lets you take content along to read later, in mobile format. Really nice, very handy, but it has nothing to do with spotting places on the ground around you, real time. Earthcomber is about finding things (and people, places, events) that are around you wherever you are in the US. (We'll get there, Rest of World).

3. The maps: through the mobile web, our maps are light, spot maps for whatever location you're drilled down into. All over the air.

You're absolutely correct about the large download sizes of maps, on the other hand, if you get our legacy Windows and Palm OS versions. Now, we have updated them to do over-the-air map, location and spot searching, which was announced last fall and again in May, I believe. Nevertheless, I fully recognize how really challenging it is to get set up with the "thick client" versions of Earthcomber (That is, downloads for Palm or Windows. And by the way folks, if you don't have a Palm or WM PDA or touch-screen phone, there is no need to download maps from the website, nor the installer.) So why would anyone want to go through that syncro drill and fill up an SD card with maps? If you are really, really into powerful interactive maps. Because those maps on those two platforms are vector maps that zoom 9 levels, drag across the screen, and let you tap the screen and mark places that you can upload to create your private collection or share in one of our communities. Some people mark everything from a dumpster-diver connoisseur targets to ghost towns to pick-your-own farms to real-world spots for scenes from famous movies. You get the idea.

The other reason: If you have GPS, the PPC and Palm versions will actively "follow" you, searching for everything in your entire list. Which was the Earthcomber vision: "Hey, technology - don't make me keep guessing and asking you in search boxes over and over for the same things. How about I give you my wish list and you let me know if I come in range of anything I personally care about? " (That was a late-night vision, when I actually did talk to the technology. ) And that's the difference, ultimately, between earthcomber and any box-input search. You can find really niche things you love, along with common everyday favorites. It's your playlist. Because you tap a look list, Earthcomber looks for everything you put in it, or that's there on one of our handy default modes or categories. Box search? Sure, you're going to find pizza and coffee all you want. Still typing. But, you're going to wear yourself out thumbing in your niche favorites. And lastly, if you do have GPS on, you can listen to tunes or just drive, and Earthcomber will ping when it finds something you specified in your list.

Don't have GPS? OK, so you still tap once and find any and everything on your agenda. That's one tap. And that's what happens on our mobile web version, which brings me (mercifully) to a close and to thank you for you indulgence. Knowing all the above, I hope you're curious enough to try our "lite" version: mobile-DOT-.earthcomber-DOT-com-SLASH-phone - and this time pick "Try the Mobile Web"!

Many thanks,
Jim Brady
President & Founder
Earthcomber LLC