View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
luv2chill
Retired Staff

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Wow, finally...

FYI on my Apache (AKU3.5) it still offered me the WM6 CAB, so I think the one cab is compatible with both (perhaps making it WM6-compatible was the reason for the huge delay). I have attached the cab file.

Anyway, it's a 770KB cab file that turns into a nearly 2MB install on your device, and looking at it I can see why.

It basically abandons the normal WM interface for its own (kinda sorta like how TomTom does, although with Yahoo you can still use the softkeys). It is graphic-intensive and seems pretty finger-friendly (which we all know is becoming more and more important to people these days).

It incorporates several of Yahoo's core offerings--including Flickr, which should please fans of that service. Here are the sections:

Email
oneSearch
Map
Open News
Sports (News)
Finance (News)
Entertainment (News)
Weather
Flickr

The problems are that in its current state the interface is somewhat non-intuitive (I had several problems backing out of screens I didn't want to proceed in (signing up for a Flickr account, for example). Also, the app in general is just slow and sluggish overall (although transisitioning between the modules goes fast and has an animated slide effect).

This software seems to be trying to combine a news portal (like the MSNBC app) with a mail client with a mapping app (sort of like Windows Live Search except without the nifty GPS capabilities).

Unlike the old version of Yahoo Go!, this version does not integrate e-mail with poutlook. I also did not see any option to view (much less integrate with the PIM) calendar or contacts (seems you can search your address book, but not display or edit it?). It does appear to offer timed e-mail checking (along with "night time optimization, whatever that means... presumably just checking less often ) along with Push, which is off by default (I suspect it's a battery hog).

It is still advertised as a Beta, so maybe Yahoo will fix some things, but it's hard to believe we had to wait this long for this. I am not a hard-core Yahoo user, so I won't be using this (in its current state, anyway). Hopefully some Yahoo power users can comment on how the app works for them.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ppcygonetsetup_849.zip (772.1 KB, 57 views) Click for barcode!