View Single Post
Old 01-27-2009, 01:19 PM
mabru2001

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Re: Any good sites for docks and accessories yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith94 View Post
I have this dock and it works the same as you describe, but it hasn't affected the booting or operation of my computer. I also had a different brand of dock for my Mogul, and it did the same thing. At first I thought it was a "bug" but now I think of it as a "feature".

I plug my phone into the dock to charge it overnight with the computer turned off, and it does charge, presumably because of the "leak" between the USB and the AC Power. How else would the phone charge when the computer isn't turned on?
It is a dangerous "feature". My computer wont sleep because the power feedback is causing it to wake up randomly. And when off It keeps my fans and hard drives spinning. It defeats the purpose of sleep. USB ports as suppose to put out power, not have power feed in. Be careful using that dock if its doing that.

Most newer computers have the option to supply power to usb when sleeping. Thats how some USB keyboards can wake the computer. Try unplugging the dock from the computer... Yep it still charges the phone. I wonder if I can somehow disconnect the AC connection from the usb so that it only feeds into the spare battery.
I don't wanna open mine up just yet. Anyone with that dock wanna pop it open and snap some photos?

Is there any docks that don't do this? Anyone try the experiment and see if the more expensive docks do the same power feedback? I called the company and had them send me a new dock. I don't want to pay shipping back because the item is not as described. So I will just go through the hoops with a new one.

Edit: OK I opened it up and fixed the issue. Some stupid designer in china had a wire that jumped from the AC to the USB. SO I disconnected it and now it works like advertised. My phone charges and syncs with the Computer USB connection and the spare battery charges from AC. Picture follows.

YOU WILL LOOSE THE ABILITY TO CHARGE YOUR PHONE BY AC IF YOU DO THIS HACK

but since the dock was advertised without that feature it will be just fixing it to work as advertised.

Go here for remedy.
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=55100

Last edited by mabru2001; 01-27-2009 at 02:15 PM.