View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 08:17 PM
AndyCR512
PPCGeeks Regular

AndyCR512 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Brutally Honest 1st Impressions - Epic Fail

I'm using the stock ROM with no registry tweaks whatsoever. The phone rings after 2 rings, which is only one more than a dumbphone I tested on the same network. It rings at least 5 times, so I'm not going to fail to get it out in time - if it only rang 3 times and it missed the first 2, it would be a problem, but that's not the case for me. Everything works fine for me. There are lots of rough edges - build quality is pretty pathetic even compared to the AT&T version, heat is annoying, non-flush screen under the plastic (which isn't there in the AT&T version, by the way - I tried it) - but lots of things others complain about never seem to happen to me - missed calls don't happen, battery life is actually decent for me, etc. If I'm having this much luck stock, I wonder what a better ROM would do for me. The single biggest annoyance for me is the way the spacebar feels (it takes a surprising amount of force to depress it compared to the other keys - obviously a build defect), which I may be TEP'ing due to soon. I wonder if I'm just lucky, or if I simply don't stress it as much as others.

There are certainly days when the iPhone looks darn good to me, but there are even more days where I look at it and feel grateful for the things I don't have to put up with with this phone. My favorite saying for the Touch Pro has become "The iPhone is a product. The Touch Pro is a project." I agree that some of the things are ridiculous, but even more things are amazing to me, in a good way. I don't doubt your expertise, and I wonder if somehow ours function differently from each other.

Last edited by AndyCR512; 01-26-2009 at 08:23 PM.