Thread: whats your RAM?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
dishe
Halfway to VIP Status

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocowboy248
on a soft reset mine ranges from 19-25mb. i hope something happens with a software update. how sweet would it be for an update to let us adjust ram/storage like on 2003ce. even if it was limited to a max of 128mb ram it would be great
LOL, that won't happen.

The only reason that slider bar existed in 2003 is because all memory was based on RAM in the older devices- there was no REAL storage memory.

An older device, such as the original ipaq 3600 series, had 64mb of SHARED memory- RAM and Storage. That meant that if you installed 45mb of apps and files (they didn't even have storage cards on the original devices), you were left with only 15mb to actually RUN anything.
Palm Pilots were the same way back then. The biggest disadvantage of doing it this way was then when your battery ran out, so did all your storage!

Later 2003 devices added some dedicated internal storage (seperate from the main storage which was still ram), so that you could store things that would survive a battery outage, and often even a hard reset.

WM5 introduced the end of shared memory for WM, and now we have dedicated EPROM chips for storage and RAM that is independant.
So, that's why the slider is not available anymore. You don't have 128mb of RAM available in the mogul... only storage memory (slightly slower but more reliable than RAM in the long run).

Hope that clears things up!

Now, why the available memory on the mogul is so erratic is a mystery to me as well...